Brick BBQ with cupboards - DPM?

Sponsored Links
My point is that UPVC expands, with even the tiniest bit of heat. Definitely not suitable material for building a blooming barbecue out of!

It won't melt, but it may buckle, expand, the door won't open, or otherwise turn crappy.

Sounds a lot like a chocolate fireguard.

Sponsored Links
My point is that UPVC expands, with even the tiniest bit of heat. Definitely not suitable material for building a blooming barbecue out of!

It won't melt, but it may buckle, expand, the door won't open, or otherwise turn crappy.

Short lengths may be ok. Especially if they are shaded. It'll look crappy regardless.

No one said they are building a BBQ out of UPVC.
It would be helpful if the OP posted a plan of what he intends but from what he says I envisage it looking something like this picture, not sure if his BBQ will be totally on the top or inset like this or if it will be open to the bottom. But looking at the cupboard on the left - there is no way that door if UPVC will be effected by heat from the BBQ

Attachments

• reclaimed-brick-outdoor-kitchen-on-patio-with-built-in-pellet-grill-30-1.jpg
    reclaimed-brick-outdoor-kitchen-on-patio-with-built-in-pellet-grill-30-1.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 29
Or this design . If the wood was UPVC window frames with glass replaced by T+G UPVC then they will not melt/ distort - or anything.
bbq.JPG

That's not a barbecue, it's a sandwich toaster on a kitchen worktop!

This is a "brick barbecue"...

71GZij1RVyL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
The toaster is not my cup of tea either but the OP has said
"I'm building a BBQ with an adjacent granite worksurface supported on brick with a pair of cupboards below, one for general storage and once for a fridge."

The BBQ will be on the left of a 3m span with the fridge on the far right. So it'll be (a) below the level of the BBQ, and also have three vertical courses of brick between, and a granite worksurface above. It'll be getting more heat from the sun than the BBQ. And as I said, I'll only have the fridge powered on the days when we're out there using it (so none this year looking at the summer we've had so far!!!)

Thanks all for the ideas and input though. I'm not that keen on the UPVC / soffit idea even though I think I could see where you were going with it, it just won't fit in here.

I like the idea of adding some insulation to the cupboard to reduce the speed of the temperature changes and hence hopefully reduce condensation. I'm thinking something simple like a layer of polystyrene between the brick and the cupboard walls and the same on the inside of the door.

Also re dry goods and mice. It will be fully sealed so they shouldn't even know there's anything in there and also with the limited use, I doubt there would actually be any foodstuffs left in there. By dry goods, I actually meant cutlery crockery and stuff for the table - that sort of dry... my bad.

The BBQ will be on the left of a 3m span with the fridge on the far right. So it'll be (a) below the level of the BBQ, and also have three vertical courses of brick between, and a granite worksurface above. It'll be getting more heat from the sun than the BBQ. And as I said, I'll only have the fridge powered on the days when we're out there using it (so none this year looking at the summer we've had so far!!!)

Thanks all for the ideas and input though. I'm not that keen on the UPVC / soffit idea even though I think I could see where you were going with it, it just won't fit in here.

I like the idea of adding some insulation to the cupboard to reduce the speed of the temperature changes and hence hopefully reduce condensation. I'm thinking something simple like a layer of polystyrene between the brick and the cupboard walls and the same on the inside of the door.

Also re dry goods and mice. It will be fully sealed so they shouldn't even know there's anything in there and also with the limited use, I doubt there would actually be any foodstuffs left in there. By dry goods, I actually meant cutlery crockery and stuff for the table - that sort of dry... my bad.
Sounds great - you better get on with it before what Summer we have has gone.

This is a "brick barbecue"...

That is what I built, forty odd years ago. I used the chromed grids, scrounged from a local supermarket, and a sheet of steel to lay the fire on. It worked well, until the heat, loosened the upper courses of the bricks. I rebuilt the upper courses, with steel reinforcement wire, within the courses. That then survived decades, until I eventually demolished it. It certainly fought hard being demolished.

A tip please...

When I get to the top of the brick supports for the granite worktop, should I put this directly onto the last course of bricks (that has been levelled) rather than using another layer of mortar? I'm just thinking the the sheer weight of the worktop (it will take three or four of us to lift it into place) will probably squeeze out most of the mortar and make it very difficult to do any levelling at that stage - don't really want to be taking it off and replacing it 3 or 4 times to try and get it level? Thinking of a direct placement onto level bricks and then some exterior grade silicone all the way round or something along those lines? It's so heavy I can't see it shifting anywhere...

Thoughts?

I'm just thinking the the sheer weight of the worktop (it will take three or four of us to lift it into place) will probably squeeze out most of the mortar and make it very difficult to do any levelling at that stage - don't really want to be taking it off and replacing it 3 or 4 times to try and get it level?

Or you could - fit something solid on top of the bricks, like short bits of 10mm diameter rod, as temporary supports, do the mortar pointing under the slab, then push the rods out after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back