Builder never fit my condensate pipe, is it something I can do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image0 (1).jpeg
image1.jpeg

It was fit by a gas safe engineer, he fit everything and expected the builder to fit the condensate pipe to the waste pipe but he left before he fit it and just hid the issue behind my dishwasher.

I'm now trying to find out how to fit this condensate pipe to my waste pipe. Is it a DIY friendly job? If so, can anyone give me a guide? I am coming in very new to this so I have 0 idea of what I need to do.

Sponsored Links
Don't quote me put our pipe just passes through the wall to outside and not near a drain.
Obviosuly if there is a drain nearby it would help

Is that wall an external one?

I was under the impression that only gas safe engineers are allowed to touch the condensate pipe.

If so, I can't see how the plumber was able to sign off.

The condensate is corrosive. In the past I have seen drips from condensate pipes (slowly) eat their way through concrete.

Don't quote me put our pipe just passes through the wall to outside and not near a drain.
Obviosuly if there is a drain nearby it would help

Is that wall an external one?
It is an external one but no drain nearby, but there is a waste pipe right near which I assume goes into a drain

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that only gas safe engineers are allowed to touch the condensate pipe.

If so, I can't see how the plumber was able to sign off.

The condensate is corrosive. In the past I have seen drips from condensate pipes (slowly) eat their way through concrete.
Oh, that's interesting. I'll contact the installer again. Do you think I can expect further damage? The plaster it's been dripping on seems fine still

The installer Gas Safe ? - it's his duty to fully install the pipe to correct regs. The regulating body would be interested IF he doesn't finish the job ( @ no cost)

Oh, that's interesting. I'll contact the installer again. Do you think I can expect further damage? The plaster it's been dripping on seems fine still

For a temporary fix, could you maybe push a bit of garden hose or similar over the end, and direct it into a bowl or bucket?

If you are able to do basic plumbing, you can connect it to the waste pipe that your sink drains into. This would be much better than a bucket or an open ended pipe. Do not let it drip into the house.

When a pipe from a boiler connects into a domestic drain, there are various opinions about how much of the pipe is reserved for qualified gasmen.

The boiler installer should have finished the job, or at least checked that the builder had connected it as requested.

The installer Gas Safe ? - it's his duty to fully install the pipe to correct regs. The regulating body would be interested IF he doesn't finish the job ( @ no cost)
He is indeed gas safe. I've told him I want him to connect it as I just don't want to risk it as I'm pretty much clueless with plumbing (& DIY in general)

He is indeed gas safe. I've told him I want him to connect it as I just don't want to risk it as I'm pretty much clueless with plumbing (& DIY in general)

How long has it been like that?

Although I have the seen the acidic effects of condensate, I have no idea how quickly it erodes cement/concrete. I do not know if it damages plaster though, plaster is slightly alkali, so it might be able to deal with small amounts of condensate.

How long has it been like that?

Although I have the seen the acidic effects of condensate, I have no idea how quickly it erodes cement/concrete. I do not know if it damages plaster though, plaster is slightly alkali, so it might be able to deal with small amounts of condensate.

Best part of a year although it must only started leaking after I moved in (2 weeks ago) as the puddle only appeared last week which was when I noticed the leak

That's ridiculous - definitely the installer's job to complete, it's should never have been left to the builder unless there was some sort of arrangement, that you knew about, that it would be done.

The issue, looking at the pics, is there is very space under the sink to actually plumb that in. That and both appliance inlets are used so they can't be utilised. Would probably need a saddle clamp attached to the black waste pipe if there's space.

If that's been there for the best part of a year then that'll have been doing that every time the CH was on, anything up a 1L per hour.

That's ridiculous - definitely the installer's job to complete, it's should never have been left to the builder unless there was some sort of arrangement, that you knew about, that it would be done.

The issue, looking at the pics, is there is very space under the sink to actually plumb that in. That and both appliance inlets are used so they can't be utilised. Would probably need a saddle clamp attached to the black waste pipe if there's space.

If that's been there for the best part of a year then that'll have been doing that every time the CH was on, anything up a 1L per hour.

Yeah, this house has been a nightmare for me. Is there anything I should look out for damage wise in regards to corrosive water damage? As I say I can't see anything obvious

Best part of a year although it must only started leaking after I moved in (2 weeks ago) as the puddle only appeared last week which was when I noticed the leak

If you have only just moved in, that will explain why you hadn't noticed it before. If no one is around to call for domestic hot water or heating, no condensate will be produced.

As per @Nige F 's post, I would be tempted to ask the plumber to rectify it for free or at cost. Again, I am not a plumber, but he might be in a world of pain for signing it off prematurely.

Based on what you say, I very much doubt that it will have harmed anything.

A quick Google search suggests that up 2 to 3L of water can be expelled per hour (no idea how accurate that is though).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back