Builder never fit my condensate pipe, is it something I can do?

Yes, there should always be a fall on the pipe, for that condensate then 19mm per m as a min. Whoever is fitting it should know all of that and I am getting the feeling that you are trying to fish out all the info needed to DIY it :unsure: ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes, there should always be a fall on the pipe, for that condensate then 19mm per m as a min. Whoever is fitting it should know all of that and I am getting the feeling that you are trying to fish out all the info needed to DIY it :unsure: ;)

Nah, got someone booked tomorrow, I was just curious how big of a job it is. Especially since it a GasSafe engineer who fit the piping like that in the first place.

Is there any need for the condensate pipe to be adjusted so it drops at an angle? I read that it shouldn't be horizontal (like it currently is)
All pipes should be "Free draining" which just means the bubble on the level is showing slope towards the direction of flow.

That's it regardless of stupid "Gas safe" ******.

You are going a few feet at best, not running a high capacity condenser return line 300ft around a boiler utility building.

Don't overthink it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All pipes should be "Free draining" which just means the bubble on the level is going towards the direction of flow.

That's it regardless of stupid "Gas safe" ******.
Eh? If the run is right to left as in this case and the bubble was to the left on the level (to me that would be towards the direction of flow, as the flow direction would be to the left, unless I have picked this up wrong) then the water would be trying to run uphill??? Regardless of what any thing Gas Safe have to say about it.

In this case for the fall to be correct then the bubble should be to the right on the level, which in my book would be the opposite to the direction of flow, unless, as I say, I have picked it up wrong.

Eh? If the run is right to left as in this case and the bubble was to the left on the level (to me that would be towards the direction of flow, as the flow direction would be to the left, unless I have picked this up wrong) then the water would be trying to run uphill??? Regardless of what any thing Gas Safe have to say about it.

In this case for the fall to be correct then the bubble should be to the right on the level, which in my book would be the opposite to the direction of flow, unless, as I say, I have picked it up wrong.
I would think it's fairly obvious which way the pipe should be sloping tbh.
Just stick a level on it and make sure is sloping with flow, not against it, be that bubble up, down or whatever.

I would think it's fairly obvious which way the pipe should be sloping tbh.
Believe you me, it isn't to some. As this is primarily a DIY forum I've found over the years that there are some real rookies with next to no knowledge and what may be obvious to some isn't always to others. Over the time I've been here I've learned it's better to be quite specific, just in case.

Believe you me, it isn't to some. As this is primarily a DIY forum I've found over the years that there are some real rookies with next to no knowledge and what may be obvious to some isn't always to others. Over the time I've been here I've learned it's better to be quite specific, just in case.
Yea, probably right in fairness.

Most people can't wire a plug these days.

Sounds like me haha, I've only just bought a place and trying to learn. I find these DIY forums incredibly useful

Sounds like me haha, I've only just bought a place and trying to learn. I find these DIY forums incredibly useful
At the end of the day, that's what it's all about. If we can help and point people in the right direction when it comes to doing their own work, if they want to try, then the forum can only add value.

It can be a minefield though with some DIY'ers trying to bite off more than they can chew and the inevitable keyboard warriors who supply really erroneous advice, who's best friend is google and can end up doing more harm than good, luckily though they tend to be called out quite quickly.

At the end of the day, that's what it's all about. If we can help and point people in the right direction when it comes to doing their own work, if they want to try, then the forum can only add value.

It can be a minefield though with some DIY'ers trying to bite off more than they can chew and the inevitable keyboard warriors who supply really erroneous advice, who's best friend is google and can end up doing more harm than good, luckily though they tend to be called out quite quickly.
Don't lecture anyone on this forum offering advice. Bad or not.
Your profession (plumbing/gas?) Is an absolute ****ing disgrace and chock to the bloody lid with chancers, cowboys and leg-it merchants.

This forum is testament to this every other post is a problem caused by cowboy, bandit workmanship by so called registered or legit professionals.

Yes, DIYs can and do **** up but its with the best intentions at heart.

With all due respect.

This forum is testament to this every other post is a problem caused by cowboy, bandit workmanship by so called registered or legit professionals.

Yes, DIYs can and do **** up but its with the best intentions at heart.

..Which is at least part of the reason I insist on doing the work myself, wherever I am able, and why so many others choose to attempt to do the same.

..Which is at least part of the reason I insist on doing the work myself, wherever I am able, and why so many others choose to attempt to do the same.
I'll doff my hat to @Madrab and thos on this board who are conscientious and skilled and offer their time foc. It's a great thing.
But holy ****, the industry is dreadful.
All trades suffer the same.

Good uns and bad uns.

I'll doff my hat to @Madrab and thos on this board who are conscientious and skilled and offer their time foc. It's a great thing.
But holy ****, the industry is dreadful.
All trades suffer the same.

Good uns and bad uns.

It really is just a gamble out there, it's crazy. I feel like sites like checkatrade, mybuilder etc just attract that sort of talent as it's so easy to get jobs & make money and obviously for most consumers those sites are their first thought when looking for tradesmen. Admittedly I found my 'builder' off checkatrade who had tons of 5 star reviews, never again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back