Builder never fit my condensate pipe, is it something I can do?

If you have only just moved in, that will explain why you hadn't noticed it before. If no one is around to call for domestic hot water or heating, no condensate will be produced.

As per @Nige F 's post, I would be tempted to ask the plumber to rectify it for free or at cost. Again, I am not a plumber, but he might be in a world of pain for signing it off prematurely.

Based on what you say, I very much doubt that it will have harmed anything.

A quick Google search suggests that up 2 to 3L of water can be expelled per hour (no idea how accurate that is though).

Yep, just sent him a message telling him I've been in contact with GasSafe & was told it should have been fit by the engineer and asked him to come round to rectify it.

I should say it's 100% not dumping out litres of water per hour it seems to fire hour like every few hours and it isn't a lot of water.

Sponsored Links
I'd be ****ed about the professionals leaving this crap behind them.

However, I'd just plumb it into the sink outlet making sure the outlet was open ended and not trapped anywhere. I'd also download the boiler manual to read the manf recommendations just incase the ****** who did that did something else unprofessional.

Easy to fit.

Gas safe?
To reroute a drain?

Righto...

Yep, just sent him a message telling him I've been in contact with GasSafe & was told it should have been fit by the engineer and asked him to come round to rectify it.

I should say it's 100% not dumping out litres of water per hour it seems to fire hour like every few hours and it isn't a lot of water.

I am not without sympathy for him, but perhaps he should have said that he would pop back after the builder had fitted the kitchen.

AFAIK, the builder, assuming that he is not gas safe, is not allowed to touch the condensate pipework. Plumbers here have previously told me that the condensate pipe is considered to be part of the combustion chamber, and accordingly, Gas Safe only.

I'd be ****ed about the professionals leaving this crap behind them.

However, I'd just plumb it into the sink outlet making sure the outlet was open ended and not trapped anywhere. I'd also download the boiler manual to read the manf recommendations just incase the ****** who did that did something else unprofessional.

Easy to fit.

Gas safe?
To reroute a drain?

Righto...

I get what you are saying... but, it is exclusively Gas Safe (read: someone that can, in court, prove that they are competent).

Yeah, if was my own home, I would follow the path of least resistance.

My boiler, the plumber (15((?)) yrs ago) just ran the pipe out under the floor below the decking. I am not overly concerned. It is sufficiently far enough away from the extension footings to cause a problem (in my lifetime).

For the record, if it runs in to a soakaway, that soakaway should be full of lime chippings. No idea how long the lime will survive though.

As per a previous post of mine, last year I worked at a house that had the condensate running into a soil stack. One of the elbows had a very slight leak. The drip had eroded the concrete by about 4-5mm.

Admittedly, I ran some clear CT1 around the leaking joint.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am not without sympathy for him, but perhaps he should have said that he would pop back after the builder had fitted the kitchen.

AFAIK, the builder, assuming that he is not gas safe, is not allowed to touch the condensate pipework. Plumbers here have previously told me that the condensate pipe is considered to be part of the combustion chamber, and accordingly, Gas Safe only.

World has gone mad.

The engineer is not happy with me now. He phoned back ****ed off as he assumed I reported him to GasSafe.

Even though I told him I just phoned to see who should deal with the condensate pipe.

Apparently, he did fit the pipe but my builder cut it off even though he never told me that.

I wonder if there is some official definition of the point where a pipe, after having left the boiler enclosure, ceases to be a gas part.

The engineer is not happy with me now. He phoned back ****ed off as he assumed I reported him to GasSafe.

Even though I told him I just phoned to see who should deal with the condensate pipe.

Apparently, he did fit the pipe but my builder cut it off even though he never told me that.
Did he tell you where he ran the pipe to?

I cannot see any holes from the pipe fixing brackets . That said, you have only provided two images.

Can you take closer images of the end of the black pipe? I cannot see any evidence of anyone cutting the end of it.

Combi boilers tend to produce much less condensate over summer (short bursts of firing at full power) than in winter (longer periods of use modulated down) so condensate issues become more visible in autumn.

In any case the RGI needs to fix it pronto, at his or the builder's expense. If the builder cut off a working condensate pipe and "forgot" to reinstate then the builder should pay. Let them fight it out between themselves.

The prospect of an imminent Gas-Safe inspection will concentrate minds wonderfully.

I wonder if there is some official definition of the point where a pipe, after having left the boiler enclosure, ceases to be a gas part.
Cant remember that ever being specifically stated but as far as being considered part of the flue system, the 'cut off' would probably be considered to be after the condensate trap as that's where the water seal is. The concern is though that if someone is playing about with the condensate pipe, after the trap and it wasn't all properly clipped etc then they could unwittingly dislodge a connection or dislodge the trap itself, as that is the realm of a GSR engineer, then always best just to have the Engineer sort it all and do a final end to end check.

Cant remember that ever being specifically stated but as far as being considered part of the flue system, the 'cut off' would probably be considered to be after the condensate trap as that's where the water seal is. The concern is though that if someone is playing about with the condensate pipe, after the trap and it wasn't all properly clipped etc then they could unwittingly dislodge a connection or dislodge the trap itself, as that is the realm of a GSR engineer, then always best just to have the Engineer sort it all and do a final end to end check.

Thanks, I incorrectly referred to it as being part of the combustion chamber rather than the flue.

Just some more pictures,
IMG_9410.jpeg
IMG_9420.jpeg

Looks like all waste goes straight into the soil pipe, where would be the best place to T off?

Oh great, push fit, I really wish they would ban that stuff.

Easiest way would probably be to extend the 21.5mm with a solvent coupler, clipping as they went, through the cabinet wall(s) and then along to a section that has the space and fit one of these, again with suitable clipping

1701368534907.png

The condensate would then be connect into the saddle.

Oh great, push fit, I really wish they would ban that stuff.

Easiest way would probably be to extend the 21.5mm with a solvent coupler, clipping as they went, through the cabinet wall(s) and then along to a section that has the space and fit one of these, again with suitable clipping

View attachment 323349

The condensate would then be connect into the saddle.
Is there any need for the condensate pipe to be adjusted so it drops at an angle? I read that it shouldn't be horizontal (like it currently is)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back