Builder never fit my condensate pipe, is it something I can do?

It really is just a gamble out there, it's crazy. I feel like sites like checkatrade, mybuilder etc just attract that sort of talent as it's so easy to get jobs & make money and obviously for most consumers those sites are their first thought when looking for tradesmen. Admittedly I found my 'builder' off checkatrade who had tons of 5 star reviews, never again.

Yep, they claim to vet them, but that is simply not true. The sites are simply driven by profit.

Sponsored Links
When you commission a new condensing combi, you are requested to partly fill the boilers condensate trap . In theory, the products of combustion can travel down it and damage or melt it causing a dangerous situation. Therefore the rest of the condensate pipe is installed according to the mi,s to avoid this situation. If the boiler is not used for a long period of time, the trap can dry out. Hence having the rest of the condensate pipe installed correctly by the installer to avoid any potential future problems.

It really is just a gamble out there, it's crazy. I feel like sites like checkatrade, mybuilder etc just attract that sort of talent as it's so easy to get jobs & make money and obviously for most consumers those sites are their first thought when looking for tradesmen. Admittedly I found my 'builder' off checkatrade who had tons of 5 star reviews, never again.

Another problem is that customers have no idea what a decent job should look like.

One day, she wot scowls at me when I get home, decided to use MyBuilder to find a decorator, to repaint our hallway (I am a decorator- one that provides a high quality of finish).

They guy she found had 5 star reviews, and lived 6 houses away from us.

I had previously decorated it to a decent standard. All the guy had to do as prep was key the woodwork.

The day he finished, she sheepishly asked me to repaint the hallway (same colours). I ended up having to sand the emulsion given that he left a shocking high degree of orange peel. I also had to re-sand the paintwork flat because of the amount of crud in the paint and massive tramlines.

The other guy she used on MyBuilder did little jobs (acceptably well) and when she mentioned that she was planning to redo the downstairs bathroom, he convinced her that tiling was his "forte". He took 4 grand to buy the fittings and tiles, whilst waiting for the items to be delivered he then did some work for my stepson. Toby Smith of Hatfield (his family, on Facebook, like horse drawn caravans and brag about being able to fake clothing logos) stole the 4K and did a really, really rubbish tiling job for my stepson.

I ended up having to unblock my stepson's bathroom waste because the chuffin muppet was obviously washing his grout sponges in the basin. I then noticed that he forgot to use solvent weld on some of the pipe work.

I picked up his tools and took them to my home, she what scowls at me asked me to calculate the value of the tools. She was hoping to use them as a bargaining tool. IMO they were worth less than £300. The only item that wasn't budget c.r.ap was a Hilti cordless drill. It had a scratched out serial number though.

She asked her bank to recoup the 4K. When he found out, he went ape and started threatening her and demanded the return of his tools. She had previously spoken to the old bill, they said that her holding on to the tools was a civil matter and that they would not act upon it.

After the threats, which I knew nothing about previously, she asked me to return the tools the place that he texted her to return them to. Turns out that it was his brother's house, a plumber that doesn't seem to have a dodgy reputation. I paid one of my Irish mates, that is built like a s.... house to give me a lift. I turned up on the doorstep, the brother was rather confrontational, until he saw the size of my mate. The tools were dropped off, she was 4K out of pocket, and I was £50 out of pocket after paying my mate for a lift.

Note to mods: Under UK law, my post is "fair comment". AFAIK, I am allowed to malign given websites so long as I am being honest and truthful.

If the person mentioned asks for the post to be deleted, I will provide documented evidence.

Sorry, end of rant. I hate scumbags.

One day, she wot scowls at me when I get home, decided to use MyBuilder to find a decorator, to repaint our hallway (I am a decorator- one that provides a high quality of finish).

I believe such sites should be made financially responsible for the people they list, and the work they do - that would sort them out.

Sponsored Links
Another problem is that customers have no idea what a decent job should look like.

They guy she found had 5 star reviews, and lived 6 houses away from us.

I had previously decorated it to a decent standard. All the guy had to do as prep was key the woodwork.

The day he finished, she sheepishly asked me to repaint the hallway (same colours). I ended up having to sand the emulsion given that he left a shocking high degree of orange peel. I also had to re-sand the paintwork flat because of the amount of crud in the paint and massive tramlines.

The other guy she used on MyBuilder did little jobs (acceptably well) and when she mentioned that she was planning to redo the downstairs bathroom, he convinced her that tiling was his "forte". He took 4 grand to buy the fittings and tiles, whilst waiting for the items to be delivered he then did some work for my stepson. Toby Smith of Hatfield (his family, on Facebook, like horse drawn caravans and brag about being able to fake clothing logos) stole the 4K and did a really, really rubbish tiling job for my stepson.

I ended up having to unblock my stepson's bathroom waste because the chuffin muppet was obviously washing his grout sponges in the basin. I then noticed that he forgot to use solvent weld on some of the pipe work.

I picked up his tools and took them to my home, she what scowls at me asked me to calculate the value of the tools. She was hoping to use them as a bargaining tool. IMO they were worth less than £300. The only item that wasn't budget c.r.ap was a Hilti cordless drill. It had a scratched out serial number though.

She asked her bank to recoup the 4K. When he found out, he went ape and started threatening her and demanded the return of his tools. She had previously spoken to the old bill, they said that her holding on to the tools was a civil matter and that they would not act upon it.

After the threats, which I knew nothing about previously, she asked me to return the tools the place that he texted her to return them to. Turns out that it was his brother's house, a plumber that doesn't seem to have a dodgy reputation. I paid one of my Irish mates, that is built like a s.... house to give me a lift. I turned up on the doorstep, the brother was rather confrontational, until he saw the size of my mate. The tools were dropped off, she was 4K out of pocket, and I was £50 out of pocket after paying my mate for a lift.

Note to mods: Under UK law, my post is "fair comment". AFAIK, I am allowed to malign given websites so long as I am being honest and truthful.

If the person mentioned asks for the post to be deleted, I will provide documented evidence.

Sorry, end of rant. I hate scumbags.

I was 8k out of pocket on my first home, as the builder did a **** job & didn't finish it. Similar story they had amazing reviews & was part of some builders guild. Ended up disappearing one day, had to get someone else in to finish the job. Plan is to pursue this guy at small claims court but I've been told he has dodgy mates to try and put me off from pursuing him.

Crazy. I just want the work I paid for.

I was 8k out of pocket on my first home, as the builder did a **** job & didn't finish it. Similar story they had amazing reviews & was part of some builders guild. Ended up disappearing one day, had to get someone else in to finish the job. Plan is to pursue this guy at small claims court but I've been told he has dodgy mates to try and put me off from pursuing him.

Crazy. I just want the work I paid for.

I did a CCJ search against Toby. He had 4 outstanding CCJs. There was no point pursuing him. His listed his address as being his parent's address. The bailiffs turn up, his scummy parents say "he doesn't live here" and the bailiff walks off.

I really wish I could provide advice that would allow you to recover your money, but do you want to spend the rest of your life worrying about the safety of your missus and kids?

I wish I believed in karma. Unfortunately, scumbags sleep soundly at night, because they don't give a toss about people that they steal from.

Admittedly I found my 'builder' off checkatrade who had tons of 5 star reviews, never again.
To true, the same happened to me with a patio, pics on here is anyone is interested, according to the ratings site he is supposed to be really good. I can think of a better alternative last word for that sentence.
My personal opinion is that all the ratings site are a waste of time, there is not one I would really trust.

If anyone lives in west London

I am not in anyway related to the site.

Don't lecture anyone on this forum offering advice. Bad or not.
Your profession (plumbing/gas?) Is an absolute ****ing disgrace and chock to the bloody lid with chancers, cowboys and leg-it merchants.

This forum is testament to this every other post is a problem caused by cowboy, bandit workmanship by so called registered or legit professionals.

Yes, DIYs can and do **** up but its with the best intentions at heart.

With all due respect.
Just picked up on this BTW .... I am a little confused ?? "Lecture anyone" ... sorry but who was I supposed to be lecturing to? I think you need re-read the post. I wasn't lecturing in the slightest, to anyone, It was a nod to the OP when they replied about their experience. It was simply pointing out the benefits that this forum can bring to every DIY'er and sometimes pro's alike and how contributers can help a lot of people.
Even people that have no experience at all but are forced to try thing themselves due to bad workmanship, their own mistakes or others that just want to try thing themselves due to costs. I certainly wasn't defending the trade either but lets be honest name me one trade these days that isn't the same. Having been in this game a long time I still get great/new/correct info from other experienced pro's in these forums, it's an absolute gold mine and my respect to everyone who contributes here, every day can be a school day and it can be invaluable. That's why I'm still on here after 11yrs.

If you are talking about the comment around keyboard warriors then that is extremely relevant in here. There are a lot of posters in these forums who with absolutely no real experience go away, use search engines to try and come up with the right answers to issues and then supply really bad or downright dangerous advice and then argue when it's pointed out it's wrong. That should be policed and feel that there is every right of any poster on here that knows the information to be wrong to call that out. Otherwise forums like these become highly ineffective or dangerous places and it dilutes the good/great advice that the pros (and experienced DIY'ers) supply, who give their precious time and energy to help others FOC.

Just picked up on this BTW .... I am a little confused ?? "Lecture anyone" ... sorry but who was I supposed to be lecturing to? I think you need re-read the post. I wasn't lecturing in the slightest, to anyone, It was a nod to the OP when they replied about their experience. It was simply pointing out the benefits that this forum can bring to every DIY'er and sometimes pro's alike and how contributers can help a lot of people.
Even people that have no experience at all but are forced to try thing themselves due to bad workmanship, their own mistakes or others that just want to try thing themselves due to costs. I certainly wasn't defending the trade either but lets be honest name me one trade these days that isn't the same. Having been in this game a long time I still get great/new/correct info from other experienced pro's in these forums, it's an absolute gold mine and my respect to everyone who contributes here, every day can be a school day and it can be invaluable. That's why I'm still on here after 11yrs.

If you are talking about the comment around keyboard warriors then that is extremely relevant in here. There are a lot of posters in these forums who with absolutely no real experience go away, use search engines to try and come up with the right answers to issues and then supply really bad or downright dangerous advice and then argue when it's pointed out it's wrong. That should be policed and feel that there is every right of any poster on here that knows the information to be wrong to call that out. Otherwise forums like these become highly ineffective or dangerous places and it dilutes the good/great advice that the pros (and experienced DIY'ers) supply, who give their precious time and energy to help others FOC.

I don't have a dog in this fight... but... when it comes down to plumbing advice, you are one of the (few) people that I trust to give me sound advice in the plumbing forum. Others, in other sunforums, include @Lucid @EFLImpudence @JobAndKnock @crank39. There are many others that I defer to, the above list is curtailed by the 4 pints that I have consumed thus far, and I apologise to every other worthy contributor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back