C1 ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any doubts about this being a C1?
1721423005602.jpeg

Tenant has been there since 2018 and Agent arranged EICR, landlord blames tenant, tenant showed me the Estate Agents papers from 2018 where that can just be seen in one of their pics and of course a line saying the electrics needs updating. It's a 10mm² T&E from the cutout

Sponsored Links
That is disgraceful. Bad that it has been in that condition so long. Even worse that the DGAF LL is blaming the tenant.

That is surely prosecutable.

Presuming that is how it was found, and that you hadn't removed the cover before the photograph, then yes thats most certainly a C1, it also would get heavy duty tape to cover over exposed live parts and unsheathed cores and an electrical danger notice.

Nice to know the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 are working *roll eyes* .... an EICR should have been carried out over three years ago when the requirements became applicable to existing tenancies in April '21

Sponsored Links
Presuming that is how it was found, and that you hadn't removed the cover before the photograph,
Yes that is exactly as I found it and appears to be the same in the Estate Agends sales literature dated 2018.
then yes thats most certainly a C1, it also would get heavy duty tape to cover over exposed live parts and
For now I've screwed a large ABS adaptable box lid over the whole thing to improve the IP rating
unsheathed cores and an electrical danger notice.
I've informed the energy supplier.
Nice to know the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 are working *roll eyes* .... an EICR should have been carried out over three years ago when the requirements became applicable to existing tenancies in April '21
Hmm yes.

Wylex isolator rated 60 amp, so 10 mm² is not really a problem. Covers missing clearly is a problem.
Assuming fuse is ≤60A but the T&E wires are unsheathed and earth is undersize.

Last edited:
The problem with a code C1, is one should not leave without making safe, the question is how would you make it safe if that involves pulling the DNO fuse? Or removing the occupants from the premises? Who pays for the alternative accommodation while the fault is corrected.

Can one simply phone social services? Well no, I suppose not, as health and safety so must be in writing. Text the Estate Agents?

A contractor does not have any rights to do anything without permission from the owner or user therefore advise in writing and in the strongest terms and inform the DNO and other relevant orginisations

I knew a chap who used to PAT and if something was considered dangerous he would cut the plug off irrespective. I did point out he had no right to damage someone elses properly without tgeir permission but he still insusted on doing it.

Why wasn’t the EICR done a few years ago?

Out what did the last EICR show

Somebody isn’t telling the truth

Last edited:
In fairness it has some fuses... We bought a 1945 hero home in bristol off a deceased estate in 2003, that had meter dated 1961, 40amp main fuse and two large Henley blocks with the live and neutral circuit terminated in them. No fuse board and a bare aluminium earth running round in the ceiling. All the power came from the ceiling roses which had a split light and power fitting.It had been like that since it was built...

We have been taught as far back as I can remember that an electrician with a health and safety matter can override the managing director, likely he would not keep his job for long, but above my pay grade does not hold water with health and safety. But must be reported in writing, that would include a SMS, but writing, a phone call is not enough.

And if an electrician makes a home uninhabitable, then he must find alternative accommodation, although nothing is said to who must pay for it, or making sure the ex occupants use it.

It was, it seems OK to just switch off a dangerous supply. One does not need to make it so it can't be switched on again, however when it happened to me, I felt I was guilty, I had disconnected a motor and clearly isolated the supply, locked it off, and given the key to the site foreman, as likely it would not be me who would need to reinstate. The fitter got the key of the site foreman and turned supply back on. Lucky for me, the management blamed the fitter, but I still felt I should have not left the key with the site foreman. Lucky no one injured.

But after the distribution unit, easy enough to either lock off a MCB/RCBO or drop tails. But when the fault is the DB, that option is not open to us. And my domestic working was rare, it simply did not pay enough, so even before 2004 and Part P, my working on domestic was very low, and the whole reason for Part P was it is not in the main a work place, so does not come under health and safety at work act.

Not sure today with so much work being done from home, and visiting tradesman from the boiler service man, social care, postlady, milkman, etc. The Englishman's home is no longer his castle.

It is in this case clear, one can't simply write out the EICR with code C1's, it needs to be made safe, would a text to the Estate Agents, followed of course by a phone call, be enough? Interesting to hear how the situation was dealt with?

Why wasn’t the EICR done a few years ago?

Out what did the last EICR show

Somebody isn’t telling the truth
Presuming that is how it was found, and that you hadn't removed the cover before the photograph,
Yes that is exactly as I found it and appears to be the same in the Estate Agends sales literature dated 2018.
There can't have possibly been an EICR then or since or if there was it wasn't acted upon.

It is in this case clear, one can't simply write out the EICR with code C1's, it needs to be made safe, would a text to the Estate Agents, followed of course by a phone call, be enough? Interesting to hear how the situation was dealt with?
I have had the deep lid from a gewiss adaptable box in the car for a while, used as a 'car tidy' IE contains crap including offcuts when I work from the back of the car It's about 300x250x100mm. My 'make it safe' (against IP) has simply been to screw it to the wall to cover the fusebox. It means it can't be accessed for isolation for now pending proper repair. Now back in the hands of agents with before and after pics and a very quick report(~40 words).
I haven't seen the EICR, just told the CU C1 is the only fault and half expected to find a blank missing or similar. I have no idea what the missing fuse is for, all the lights and sockets work, gas cooker and combi, no sign of cooker point of electric shower, no outbuildings, just a very small 1 bed 1 reception bungalow. Whole building is only ~3.3x10m from googlemaps.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back