Can radiators be piped from above?

Again my 30 odd year old 8mm microbore heating is piped from above because we have concrete floors. It isn't very pretty I will admit but it works. I also had a narrow boat before I moved to this god forsaken place called wales (only because it's where my family are) and whilst the central heating pipes on that were below the floor I know of two or three that are piped from under the gunwales. There is a bit more to plumbing stuff in a narrowboat but I suspect you know that.
It would be interesting to see a thermal image of a rad piped like this. I'd expect the bottom edge to be much cooler than the top. Also silt will collect in it.

Sponsored Links
Actually TRV/valves at the corners could work OK with the Stelrad radiators.

Could use a right-angled valve, the threaded part obviously screwed upwards into the bottom of the rad, heads sticking out the sides and compression fitting pointing horizonatally towards the centre of the rad. But you would then need either a street elbow pointing upwards with pipe bending behind the rad, working around the brackets. Or the pipes could run horizontally to the centre, with a standard compression elbow turning it upwards to meet the pipes.

It would be less neat than a central valve, but would mean the TRV is sticking out of the side. This may be better for temperature stability, but less good for arranging furniture around it.

All in all I'll probably go for the central valves.

I've yet to find a plumber anyway. I'll see how horrified they are at my concept. I'm happy to put the ventical pipes in and into the loft in advance, if that makes them less reluctant. I really don't want visible pipes all over the place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back