Can You Cook...

All the best chef's are men & I am a MAN who enjoys the ceremony of sourcing the food he cooks & serves to his loved ones.

In what context does this 30p meal exist? If I'm up at 04.00am & pick a few wild mushrooms to cook a tasty breakfast for when the rest of the house awakens???

A tasty breakfast to be enjoyed by all that cost nothing more than a knob of butter & me wandering the countryside at the right time, knowing where to look & what to pick.
Not many wild mushrooms to be picked at any time in inner cities.

Sponsored Links
In the true sense of the word, I'm too lazy to cook. I went through a phase of living off ready meals (no lectures thanks ;)) now I'm back to 'cooking' in the sense that I'll put together meals such as steak (fried) potatoes (boiled, baby or mash) and veg (steamed.) However I've never cooked in the sense of pulling x raw ingredients together and cooking them.

Don't laugh, but I'm squeamish about touching raw meat - despite enjoying the eating. I've never really done 'food economy' either. So for me the meat needs to generally be already cooked - though I'm working on that. I'm still living alone for the time being, so that means I live mostly on ready meals, boil in the bag sliced beef and eating out, but I never have take-aways.

I'm fine with the likes of ready prepared to pop in the pan meat, like bacon, burgers, sausages and etc.. For last Sunday I excelled - I bought a Lidl ready cooked chilled chicken, an hour to reheat in the oven, to that added frozen mixed veg, mash & roast potatoes, cauliflower chease, a frozen Yorkie pud, dried stuffing mix and gravy. It beat anything I could buy out locally and I was quite impressed. The left overs went to make three portions of chicken a la creme and frozen - tub of single cream, mushrooms, onions and chicken. The skin and scrapings fed the dog.

When I see mushrooms being sold off cheap, I buy them, fry them in butter and freeze them in portions ready to use. Peas, mixed veg, cauliflower cheese, ready to use onions and Yorkie puds I buy ready to use and frozen.

Bread - I buy Warburtons toastie in the orange packet and carefully - I only buy it with at least three days to run to the BBE date, so I know it's fresh. I hate stale bread. I then put it in large plastic sandwich bags and freeze it in two slices per bag. It comes out and defrosts in 30 minutes or can go straight in the toaster, on it's defrost setting for toast.

I bought four oven bottom cakes yesterday and some pork dripping, three of the cakes went in the freezer, in bags and I hate one with plenty of salt on the dripping. A rare, maybe once a year treat.

Last edited:
Not many wild mushrooms to be picked at any time in inner cities.

I'm a big fan of inner city allotments & urban gardening. Mushrooms can be grown in a cupboard although probably not in the quantities to sustain life.

Sponsored Links
Probably mostly fairly well off that search for the bargains as it entails a bit of effort on your behalf.

A lot of planning and timing goes into it. And you need to conduct yourself in a reasonable manner. If you can do that then you can eat well very cheaply.

A lot of planning and timing goes into it. And you need to conduct yourself in a reasonable manner. If you can do that then you can eat well very cheaply.

I've only once bought food which was marked down in price and that last week. It just happened to be what I wanted and the last one left on the shelf, with a use by date of that day - I survived the experience :)

Generally, I'm a bit obsessive about checking BBE dates on what I buy - so things like milk and bread are as fresh as possible, so I get the longest use out of them possible. I wouldn't consider milk with two days remaining life, worth the carrying home even if it was free.

To reduce food costs, work in a supermarket to get discounts or a food factory that produces ready meals etc.

Just doing a few extra hours of work a week will easily give to 50 to 100 extra quid that will go a long way on top of your usal wage unless you are workshy and dont want to work but can and play deveral of the usal cards why you cant work.

If the milk is unopened on its useby, then it should last 7 days in a fridge of the correct temperature.
I buy loads of short dates. Bread can be a great save. I've had loads of packs of rolls from Aldi in the last few weeks with 75% off.

Frozen and defrosted as and when needed they are perfect.

Other foods I get reduced are meat (to be eaten that day) eggs, cheese, pretty much anything. But I won't buy shellfish.

Hard cheeses will live in the fridge for a lot longer than the use by. Usually what happens is they dry out, but don't go mouldy. When it is in that state, you can grate it and use it like grana padano on pasta.

I find all foods last a lot longer in the fridge if you nudge the temperature down a couple of degrees.
You don't want it near freezing, otherwise it will spoil veg.

Just doing a few extra hours of work a week will easily give to 50 to 100 extra quid
If someone can earn 50 or 100 quid for working a few extra hours a week, I don't think they would need to look for food bargains!

If the milk is unopened on its useby, then it should last 7 days in a fridge of the correct temperature.

I try to keep the fridge at around 5C, what I often used to find - was that milk from certain shops would often go off two days before its BBE, especially in warmer weather. My assumption was, that they don't look after it that well during delivery, or after it's delivered - so I no longer buy milk from them. I've never had that issue with milk from Lidl, so I buy there now. I've always had a very sensitive nose for milk on the verge of going off.

Bread can be a great save. I've had loads of packs of rolls from Aldi in the last few weeks with 75% off.

Frozen and defrosted as and when needed they are perfect.

I love my bread, but only if it very fresh. A day old and so far as I am concerned it is only really fit for toast. Bought very fresh, then frozen is a compromise for me, so I always have bread available and to save fetching it every day.

Sponsored Links
Back