Cat5 what router?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

I've run at a Cat5 unshielded cable from my house to garden room, I've put the connectors on etc but i don't know what type of router to get for the garden room. In the garden room it will run a lap top partially as an office, then at times gaming, TV, mobile phones and a radiator that's WiFi enabled.

I've looked at the TP routers in Argos ranging from£50 and upwards but I don't understand all the jargon.

Can you help please?

Sponsored Links
Basically any wireless router will do for what you want - because it will have a few switch ports for plugging things in to and a wireless access point for wireless devices. All you have to do is turn off the "router" bits and away you go.

I've run at a Cat5 unshielded cable from my house to garden room, I've put the connectors on etc but i don't know what type of router to get for the garden room. In the garden room it will run a lap top partially as an office, then at times gaming, TV, mobile phones and a radiator that's WiFi enabled.

Just to add emphasis to what @Why Not Indeed has said, you don't actually need or even want a router there, you'll have a router in the house already to connect you to your ISP, thats the only actual router you want (Router routes data packets from your home network, onto your ISPs one, in simple terms) What you need in the shed is a network switch to split the ethernet to multiple devices on a physical level (Slightly simplfied, even unmanaged switches are doing a little more- but don't worry about that) Then you need a access point that you plug into your switch to give you a wireless network to connect to.

Most of the routers you buy these days are router + switch + access point in one box. You don't want the router bit and having it will cause you issues, so you'd be buying a router + extras and turning off the router bit.... I guess thats a bit like ordering a cheeseburger without cheese.

Switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RQHL6BY

Access point: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085M4ZJ2L

I'm not particually recommending that acecss point, its just a basic model from a recognised brand name, but will probably do what you want.

[I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here - so if anything below this line confuses you, just ignore it completely :) ]

The other possibility, depending on how far down the garden the garden room is, because having a separate access point in there will mean you have a separate wireless network/SSID if you walked to the house from the garden room, at some point you'd have to disconnect from one and go on the other. You can also get mesh systems that use multiple access point modes that co-ordinate with each other to produce one big wireless network/SSID instead, and while they can opperate placed towards the edge of each others signal area to boost and extend it, they also come into their own when wired into ethernet on the same wired network, they then use the wired connection for backhaul between nodes.
I'm not saying you should a mesh system for your garden room, just making you aware that they exist, and you could.

Example of a mesh system: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/dp/B0B644N72G/

As an example of where they are useful, I put one of the mesh systems in my dad's home, a quite large bungalow, arranged in a C shape, with some very thick walls in the older parts in order to sort out the issues he was having with wireless network signal. It did help that about 20 years ago when I was living at home, we put ethernet cabling to most rooms, which makes lcoating them a bit easier, you just have to think about positiing them to give good coverage to devices, and don't have to worry about them being able to get a good signal from another node as they use the wired network for that.

Sponsored Links
Have you still got a previous router, has it got a WAN port.

If 2 yesses then you have all you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back