Cat5 what router?

Your Cat5e ethernet cable has an internet connection, so if you plugged into the ethernet port on a laptop or smart TV then that would work.
I sounds like you need some way of making the connection wireless. (
)

Did you use any cables to connect the mesh system?
The cat5 cable has no connectors on it, it is just a cable at the moment.

The mesh system was Atria Strong or Strong Atria bought from Curry's, 3 units, 1 master that plugged into the router which then communicated itself to the other two units, all three units were connected to the mains.

I couldn't get connection between the devices when I put it in the GR It was Wireless.

Sponsored Links
The mesh system was Atria Strong or Strong Atria bought from Curry's, 3 units, 1 master that plugged into the router which then communicated itself to the other two units, all three units were connected to the mains.
Did you attempt to connect one of the units to the cat5 lead in your garden room?

Screenshot_20240929-113127_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Sponsored Links
Turning an unused router into a wireless point is a very cost effective way to extend your network.
Indeed I have a private network across a large part of kent with a number of old routers of various vintage providing wired and wireless connexions.

Contradiction - I was anticipating putting the connectors on but then that threw up different questions in my head like, do I need to connect the cat5 cable to a face plate module first on both ends and then connect the router to the module and so on...

I was thinking, drill a hole in the side of house behind router, poke cat5 through, put on a rj45 connector a plug into router. Other end the same and plug into ......

Ive decided to make a media wall and leave this to those who understand it all, not I.

Contradiction - I was anticipating putting the connectors on but then that threw up different questions in my head like, do I need to connect the cat5 cable to a face plate module first on both ends and then connect the router to the module and so on...
I prefer faceplates and patch leads, but each to their own! :)

I prefer faceplates and patch leads, but each to their own! :)
Some say a socket/faceplate is neater than a small cable exiting the wall... some say a small cable exiting the wall is neater than a 3½ square thing, however it doesn't require hacking a whacking great chunk out of the wall.
Some say it's easier to terminate a cable to a socket/faceplate... some say it's easier and quicker to fit a plug, however it doesn't require hacking a whacking great chunk out of the wall.

'orses and courses spring to mind.

The crazy thing which I've seen quite frequently is a cable tacked to the skirting then up the wall to a socket then a patchlead tacked to the skirting to the device, sometimes only a couple of clips.

Alternatively, a 16mm surface mounted box, isn't the ugliest thing in the world, and doesn't require the hacking.
But yes, horses for courses.
that just makes the ugly box bigger ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti. However I think its funny that people aim for... I don't want to use the word minimalist look, say less cluttered look then add all of the 1G plates everywhere and make them even less obvious or invasive by using shiny black or chrome plates on their virgin white walls:ROFLMAO:

...but don't you find a proper punch down tool is so much more satisfying to use, than an 'RJ45' crimping tool, or is that just me?! :D
That's you.

'Scratcccch click tug done' is satisfying for me.

Wiring up a 48 way patch panel you soon get to understand the satisfaction and simplicity of easing the pairs into shape, trimming to length then slipping 48 plugsinto place and crimping 48 times in ¼ of the time of sodding about with 48 cable ties in fiddly loops, fanning out and straitening 384 wires then bending them into place and punching down 384 times all in confined spaces. Oh and there is no standard layout for termination positions on sockets.

Let's not forget the repairs where Joe Bloggs holds the bifurcating tool at 45º and f....s mangles the fitting.

Oh and I could continue with 'theres no such thing as a RJ45 plug' but I won't because we all know what you mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back