Change 2 Gang kitchen socket to 4 gang

This looks promising.

Ive decided to add 3 sockets (a second 2 gang to the ring, and 1 gang as a spur - for other kitchen tools).

I've noticed on their site they have a 2+1 too.
So the big question:

1. Is it better to have 2 +2 gang then a single one. Or add a 2 + 1 gang.

2. given how old the current box is and how deep set it is, is it better to try and replace the old one with dry lining box. (This would then have a gap between all gangs).

Sponsored Links
I took off the socket below the CU. It's definitely a ring. Quite old, given the red and black wire.

I also worked out why the detector didnt pick it up. The back box is set quite deep. Also the wall seems to be made of something really thin.

My thinking is, take out one of the connections, extend the wire for a ring, then use this Lap backbox (which should be indiscrimate of depth and the thickness of the wall) to add a second 2 gang about an inch apart from the original.

I might also add a single spur off the new 2 gang for the occasional appliances.
View attachment 356719
Definitely a ring unless it's actually definitely a radial. Or perhaps neither and just installed incorrectly, i.e. supposed to be a ring.

They do other layouts as well and to my eyes it looks better without a gap between the faceplates and as you are going to add other sockets you can have all five in a row

if you decide to go the dry lining box route, scolmore do a little gizmo that allows dry ling boxes to be joined at the correct spacing and in theory you could have dozens all in a row using it.

you do have to use their dry ling boxes though. I have used it to join two doubles and two singles together

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back