Damp homes, and private tenants

When I used to manage properties there was a particular family of "three" who was calling me every couple of weeks for mould problems.
The flat had never suffered from mould before they moved in.
After a few months of trying to educate them and getting as a response "you don't know what you're talking about" I started looking more into their lifestyle.
The family of three somehow had 2 king size beds, one double sofa bed, a foldable bed and 2 cots (one for their child).
I questioned how many people were living there and they insisted it was only 3 of them.
I asked why the so many beds and apparently they liked moving beds...
I started showing up uninvited and found people in pyjamas, taking showers and washing clothes, apparently all family visiting for the day.
Don't know you but when I visit family for a day I don't bring my pyjama, don't take showers and don't wash clothes.
Anyhow, the landlord was a saint and had the roof redone at his expense despite being a leaseholder (the superior landlord loved him for that).
He also had the loft re-insulated and new extractors installed (bloody powerful industrial ones)
I installed fancy vents with humidity sensors in them in the bedrooms.
Redecorated the lot with moisture resistant paint, it cost a fortune.
More mould after a month or so.
Incidentally the same family of 3... went through 3 washing machines, 6 taps 2 thermostatic shower bars and, wait for it...7 hot water pumps!
Don't know what they were doing with them, but when the plumber fitted one in a locked cabinet, they broke the lock.
Eventually he got rid of them and the mould problem "self resolved".
I forgot to mention that I found evidence of seller tape around the window opening, possibly trying to seal them (brand new double glazed).

Sponsored Links
When I used to manage properties there was a particular family of "three" who was calling me every couple of weeks for mould problems.
The flat had never suffered from mould before they moved in.
After a few months of trying to educate them and getting as a response "you don't know what you're talking about" I started looking more into their lifestyle.
The family of three somehow had 2 king size beds, one double sofa bed, a foldable bed and 2 cots (one for their child).
I questioned how many people were living there and they insisted it was only 3 of them.
I asked why the so many beds and apparently they liked moving beds...
I started showing up uninvited and found people in pyjamas, taking showers and washing clothes, apparently all family visiting for the day.
Don't know you but when I visit family for a day I don't bring my pyjama, don't take showers and don't wash clothes.
Anyhow, the landlord was a saint and had the roof redone at his expense despite being a leaseholder (the superior landlord loved him for that).
He also had the loft re-insulated and new extractors installed (bloody powerful industrial ones)
I installed fancy vents with humidity sensors in them in the bedrooms.
Redecorated the lot with moisture resistant paint, it cost a fortune.
More mould after a month or so.
Incidentally the same family of 3... went through 3 washing machines, 6 taps 2 thermostatic shower bars and, wait for it...7 hot water pumps!
Don't know what they were doing with them, but when the plumber fitted one in a locked cabinet, they broke the lock.
Eventually he got rid of them and the mould problem "self resolved".
I forgot to mention that I found evidence of seller tape around the window opening, possibly trying to seal them (brand new double glazed).
Don't be silly, any problems are rarely if ever down to saintly tenants, it's nearly always the landlords fault ;)

I must've been lucky.
All my landlord customers were very good landlords, apart from a guy who didn't give a toss, he only wanted rent and magnolia paint thrown on the walls between tenancies.
I ditched him when he offered 10% of what I quoted to put laminate in his new slum.
120m² of laminate he wanted it done in 2 days and £200 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Adequate ventilation of buildings is important

Roof spaces need adequate ventilation

Hence why this spray foam insulation is causing issues and costing some home owners thousands to put right

Went round to one of my places last week with my electrician, great black mould stain in corner, sparky got there before me and told me that there was a great pile of dirty dhobi there, and before nose f all pipes up the place has modern spec d/g cavity insulation so not the buildings fault, also she has an lpg cabinet heater that iv'e told her on numerous occasions to get rid of as its against tenancy contract, but once again it's the poor landlords fault

I think most are saying there are ****ty tenants and ****ty landlords, it isn't one sided.
Certainly up here in Scotland, it is becoming more one sided and not in favour of landlords. All that most decent landlords want is parity, we don't have that. We might have it when you look at the black and white of the tenancy agreement, however how things actually play out tends to be somewhat different.

Let's face it, if a tenant says to someone (whether family, friend, media or council) 'my property has damp and mould!' I doubt the first thing people think is 'MMmm, I wonder if they're venting the place properly etc?' the default is to blame the landlord.

Certainly up here in Scotland, it is becoming more one sided and not in favour of landlords. All that most decent landlords want is parity, we don't have that. We might have it when you look at the black and white of the tenancy agreement, however how things actually play out tends to be somewhat different.

Let's face it, if a tenant says to someone (whether family, friend, media or council) 'my property has damp and mould!' I doubt the first thing people think is 'MMmm, I wonder if they're venting the place properly etc?' the default is to blame the landlord.
I know the tenancy agreement is a one sided contract, on the tenants side, and it always is the wicked landlords fault even though you are douing the governments / councils job for them by housing people, they should give landlords more support rather than bashing them all the time!

I know the tenancy agreement is a one sided contract, on the tenants side, and it always is the wicked landlords fault even though you are douing the governments / councils job for them by housing people, they should give landlords more support rather than bashing them all the time!

Maybe the government is finally realising this. I believe they're thinking again about tightening the score a landlord needs on their EPC next year. E at present, thing they were going to change to minimum of a C. Would poss have seen very large numbers of landlords selling up, especially owners of oklder properties where gettin an EPC score of C wouldn't be viable.

I am neither tenant, nor landlord, but I do have to keep reminding people in this house regularly, about the needs of the house itself.

Maybe the government is finally realising this. I believe they're thinking again about tightening the score a landlord needs on their EPC next year. E at present, thing they were going to change to minimum of a C. Would poss have seen very large numbers of landlords selling up, especially owners of oklder properties where gettin an EPC score of C wouldn't be viable.
Minimum C in Scotland from 2025.

There should be council housing to do the job of housing, especially at the lower end.

Nothing wrong with private rentals but it shouldn't be doing the councils job

Sponsored Links
Back