Damp homes, and private tenants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced about the 'idiot' part. The thing is, they don't own it, so damage they do to a property, falls on someone else to repair. They have no financial interest in the place at all.
As I've touched on before, I have two tenants who are great, couldn't really ask for better. One of them in particular keeps the place like a show house and has stated she's more than happy with me as a landlord. No, not saying that to blow my own trumpet, however just pushing back slightly against some on here who openly admit they look on landlords as scum, all of whom rent out below par properties.

And as also touched on before, I had tenants who treated the place like sh1t and left me with a refurb bill that'll run into thousands. My (realistic) redress? Nothing. Just got to suck it up.

Sponsored Links
MBK's advice to people who are unhappy with their chosen income stream: do something else (y)
I suppose we all have different lines in the proverbial sand based on whatever variables. If that line is ever reached when it comes to my BTLs then tbh yes, I'd give them up.

WE never have had mould probs in any house we have lived in because we ventilate them
And that is fine - for you and yours.

We don't have a set of Building Regulations and building designers that only legislates for those that don't mind a cold draughty house, nor do we have a set of Building Regulations and building designers for those that like to keep the windows firmly shut, all year round. Rather, we design and build robustly, so that the building will fare well under year round UK conditions, no matter the occupancy or the temperature outside.

My house is mostly mould free, bar from a tiny bit on the window reveal on the NE side, right where the missus keeps a box of stuff up against the reveal. It's not a 'problem' though. In fact, window reveals are one of the more difficult zones to keep mould free, because of the fact that it's already a heat-loss zone and the prevalence for condensation - and the fact that there is little room to insulate. Not such a problem with modern design houses though, thankfully. It's one of the reasons we now have a thermal break - i.e. no longer return the masonry into the reveal.

Reveals look like this these days.....

Sponsored Links
The loss of open fires whether Coal/wood or Gas in recent built properties has removed the forced draught that such fires created which sucked considerable quantities of damp air out of properties.
Another major contributor to condensation in houses is those (expletive deleted) Calor Gas 'Heat cabinets' - for every Kg of gas burnt they produce well over a litre of water vapour - that has to go somewhere. I have the use or even one unused in my lets of those as a major exclusion in the letting paperwork and I make sure the tenants know it.

Have people forgotten about tumble driers, washer driers or even the good old-fashioned laundrettes that have large capacity drying machines? I use to use a laundrette when I rented so what has changed?

Where do you dry your washing when it's raining, cold for days on end ?

People have always dried indoors. It's a necessity. I remember my grandparents had a drying rack hung from the ceiling in their kitchen and back rooms. Lots of houses still have them.
I afixed one o' them suspended dryng racks in the kitchen of our first house. After our daughter was born you had to keep your wits about you walking in there or a damp nappy would slap you in the face to remind you what time it was. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back