Damp homes, and private tenants

also she has an lpg cabinet heater that iv'e told her on numerous occasions to get rid of as its against tenancy contract, but once again it's the poor landlords fault
I hate those 'heaters ' - I call them damp machines - with a vengance. I had such a condition in my AST contract with all the tenants; the agent I had at one time let the tenants have one.
I gave the agents instructions to tell the tenant they were out and once they had gone I parted company with the agent's services.

LPG - for every kilogram of has that had burn produces in the region of a kilogram and a half of water vapour. See

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I hate those 'heaters ' - I call them damp machines - with a vengance. I had such a condition in my AST contract with all the tenants; the agent I had at one time let the tenants have one.
I gave the agents instructions to tell the tenant they were out and once they had gone I parted company with the agent's services.

They are generally fine, with proper ventilation, trouble it, they do not understand ventilating. They also do not understand, that they cost as much as electric heat.

Sponsored Links
I think most are saying there are ****ty tenants and ****ty landlords, it isn't one sided.
I'm actually saying that its laughable that the 'expert' plumbers and Rigsbys on here think that opening the windows in the Winter is a one size fits all panacea for ridding their poorly insulated shítholes of black spot mould.

Stick to plumbing I say. (y)

Harry B and his quartet of ants are blissfully clueless.

I'm actually saying that its laughable that the 'expert' plumbers and Rigsbys on here think that opening the windows in the Winter is a one size fits all panacea for ridding their poorly insulated shítholes of black spot mould.

Stick to plumbing I say. (y)

Harry B and his quartet of ants are blissfully clueless.

And that landlords can do no wrong...

And that landlords can do no wrong...
The properties that suffer from alarming levels of BSM (black spot mould) are those that are poorly insulated.

The instant you put a family inside a house, it fills with moisture. You can ventilate zones or concentrate the the removal of moisture by installing a cooker hood or a shower vent, local to the 'culprit'. This does not remove moisture from the rest of the house, especially those areas where air movement is unlikely, i.e. behind a sofa, in a corner, behind a dresser etc. Moist air WILL hunt out the cold spots and condense - with or without an extractor or an open window.

Last edited:
I had 2 properties (professionally) insulated in 2021 - Both of them now have Black Mould in the oddest of spots.
Window reveals and behind anything are typical culprits. Corners too. Anyone ripping out and old kitchen will see what zero movement of air and poor insulation, can do.
Walls close to the ground and wall/ceiling abutments (corners again) and raked ceilings.

It's strange isn't it that we have never had black mould in our house, 2 adults, 2 childeren and 2 dogs, then again we do open windows and clean the place, our kitchen is older than those in most of our rentals but those suffer more "accidental" damage (oh the cupboard door hinges just broke) when you get round to check the said cupboard is over stuffef with crap and the door has been forced, very few tenants treat the property like they would if they owned it, and that goes for cleaning and ventilation.

then again we do open windows and clean the place
How does a tenant deal with mould in a bathroom when there is no window or fan? It has also been reported for years and the landlord has done nothing.

It's strange isn't it that we have never had black mould in our house, 2 adults, 2 childeren and 2 dogs, then again we do open windows and clean the place, our kitchen is older than those in most of our rentals but those suffer more "accidental" damage (oh the cupboard door hinges just broke) when you get round to check the said cupboard is over stuffef with crap and the door has been forced, very few tenants treat the property like they would if they owned it, and that goes for cleaning and ventilation.
I have two tenants who are great, one in particular. She keeps the place like a show house. We have a good landlord/tenant relationship and they're generally happy with me as I react as quickly as possible when things arise and haven't ramped the rent up.

Unfortunately I had other tenants who paid zero rent for around a year and left the place trashed when they eventually moved out. I'm currently refurbing that place. Still, I make £1,000,000 profit every second on my rentals as do all landlords so no biggy ...

Sponsored Links
Back