DPC failed is it too high?

Ideally all needs stripping and properly tanking before a coat of waterproof render and skim. Good luck with finding someone to do that, it's incredibly simple but people seem to be incapable of the basic attention to detail to do it properly. You need to check the wall/floor junction as the tanking may need extending across the floor a bit.

This will stop your tenants suing you for disrepair. Afterwards you can waste your time arguing with slopey shouldered damp company - (who have no liability for next door's leaky chimney) or current slum landlord owner or incoming slum landlord owner or some disinterested person at the council.

Have you really had people living in that since February? I'm surprised you haven't been on the telly.

I've got one exactly the same, that stepping is a real issue for the lower property and chimney breasts are always trouble. Society's expectations regarding damp houses have risen massively in recent years and these old houses struggle without a bit of help, especially when many people rarely heat them now.
I think I'm going to email the letting company for next door and ask them to put some vents into the chimney breast as lots of comments on here regarding this! Then either do what you have suggested or membrane the wall. I was hoping the wall was going to dry out before I had it re -plastered that why I have left it over the summer months. I explained that to the tenant and luckily it is the dining room which she doesn't really use she doesn't seem too fussed but I think she's definitely ready for it to be re- plastered now. I don't think I would be on telly as I'm trying to sort the problem out not cover it up and it's been a lot of trial and error and eliminating different things. I know I could just cover it with plastic membrane and re plaster but I actually wanted to get to the root of the problem without just covering it up. The tenant also has two lovely indoor cats that have been a nightmare weeing and mark making on the floors so I don't think she can really complain as there aren't many landlords that wouldn't loose their patience with the tenant over those kinds of things.
Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
I expect the chimneybreast is about 4 feet wide. Can you mark its position on your wall please. Is there any corresponding pattern in the damp?

Is the floor concrete?

What height is the damp in the other room?

Where is the sink?
It looks like the damp is in a horizontal line to me when I look at the photos.
The floor is concrete and I had laminate put down around 5 years ago it was bone dry. I've felt the floor today and it still feels dry I've only been able to feel where the skirting board would have been sitting then a gap of about 2-3 cm but all felt dry to touch.
My bathroom sink isn't above that side of the room. The kitchen sink is in the small extension a few metres away.
The height in the other room do you mean the hall way which leads directly on from this wall ? Is at ground level like straight above the small skirting. If you mean the neighbours there's is from the ground going up a couple of feet. Photos of where I believe the chimney is.
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20241019_091809156~3.jpg
    PXL_20241019_091809156~3.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20241019_091729197~3.jpg
    PXL_20241019_091729197~3.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 2
The wet patch seems to extend beyond the chimneybreast, especially to the left.

But the drilled holes seem not to. Perhaps they indicate where it was wettest when the injection was done.

If the water source is in your neighbours house, it is likely to have made their concrete floor damp, and this will carry damp along the bottom of their wall.

Usually it would spread, but I do not have experience of a height difference.

I think you mean the kitchen sink is on the other side of the house?

Is the neighbours bathroom or kitchen near the wet patch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back