Dust allergy during building work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! I'm soon going to have my kitchen extended by knocking out the external wall. The work will also involve sanding down an artex ceiling (we've checked and there's no asbestos, luckily). However, I have a dust allergy, and I'm worried about dust from the work in the kitchen getting all around the house. Compounding the issue is the fact that there's no kitchen door.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can manage the dust as best as possible please? I can dose up on antihistamines, but they can only do so much when the house is full of dust, and they tend to lose effectiveness after a while anyway.

Sponsored Links
My trick is a large extractor fan (12 inch ) in a sheet of alloy which I tape in place over an open window to blow air and dust out. This clears some dust but more importantly lowers the pressure in the room so there is no movement of dust and air under doors into other rooms. Air flow into the room from other rooms reduces the amount of dust that can get into other rooms The door can even be left slightly ajar to help air flow to clear dust out of the room through the extractor.

1728137770502.png

But it does then make a mess then outside so it can upset the neighbours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back