Einhell petrol mower GC-PM 46/3 S drive

Excellent! Always gives you a buzz when you persevere and solve the problem!
Indeed so - but I'm not quite counting my chickens yet. I have to wait for the parts (from Germany) and then see whether they 'work' (and also see if I can get my dismantled mower back together :) ).

Cheers, John

Sponsored Links
Update ... the infamous spring (and a new clutch cable) have just arrived (from Germany). The spring is very 'strong', and I anticipate that installing it will be an 'interesting' exercise. I really can't expand it at all by pulling 'manually' and, as you can see, it's not even significantly stretched by a ~6 kg sledge hammer! I'll report back when I have 'treid' (and hopefully succeeded). I hope to get it done over the weekend but, after that I'll be away for at least a few days, so it might possibly be a while before I can report back!!

1724418444588.png

1724418470562.png

Kind Regards, John

Try leaving the drive belt off, and swing the axle rearwards to connect the spring......then heaving on the axle itself to reconnect the belt.
I bet you’ve tried this!
John

Try leaving the drive belt off, and swing the axle rearwards to connect the spring......then heaving on the axle itself to reconnect the belt.
I bet you’ve tried this!
I haven't tried anything yet but, yes, that's what I was planning to try. I have to hope that it works, such that I can rotate the axle enough to fit the spring without having to 'stretch' it at all, since to do such stretching would probably be very difficult.

I hope to get a chance to try in the next day or two - so 'watch this space' ;)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Micks mowers on you tube has a couple of methods that may be worth a try. Free up axle and manipulate spring using a Spanish windlass (wrap it around a hammer shaft or similar and wind it up). Use an old pull cord to pull the spring etc.

Micks mowers on you tube has a couple of methods that may be worth a try. Free up axle and manipulate spring using a Spanish windlass (wrap it around a hammer shaft or similar and wind it up). Use an old pull cord to pull the spring etc.
As I wrote, my hope is that, as Burnerman suggested, the axle will rotate enough to allow the spring to be installed without having to stretch the spring. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Kind Regards, John

Make sure you route the clutch cable properly first, you only want to fit the spring once. (speaking from experience ) :giggle:

Make sure you route the clutch cable properly first, you only want to fit the spring once. (speaking from experience ) :giggle:
Thanks. Yes, I've though of that one :)

However, one of the potential issues is that "when fitted properly", the clutch cable will to some extent limit the degree to which I can rotate the axle/gearbox - so I hope that limitation is not enough to prevent the spring being installed 'without stretching'.

With a bit of luck, I'll have a chance to 'try' some time this afternoon - so, again, 'watch this space'!

Kind Regards, John

Once you have it routed properly the adjuster should remove all the tension from it once its backed off completely

My method is to insert coins, or washers, or similar, between the coils of the spring. Idea is, clamp one end of the spring in a vice, then push/pull the spring to one side, then push coins in the gap. One side, then the other. Once fitted, the coins can be pulled out with a pair of pliers.

My method is to insert coins, or washers, or similar, between the coils of the spring. Idea is, clamp one end of the spring in a vice, then push/pull the spring to one side, then push coins in the gap. One side, then the other. Once fitted, the coins can be pulled out with a pair of pliers.
Yes, I've often used such an approach, but it really is a very 'strong' spring, and it might well be a bit of a mission to stretch is enough to get coins/whatever in, even when one end is in a vice! I haven'y yet got around to trying, but I remain hopeful that the axle/gearbox may rotate enough for me to not need to 'stretch' the spring appreciably!

Kind Regards, John

Once you have it routed properly the adjuster should remove all the tension from it once its backed off completely
The adjuster only influences the actual inner cable. I'm away from the machine at the moment, so cant't look, but I have a feeling that "when properly routed", the outer of the cable is constrained by some sort of clamp (which would be very difficult to get at once the spring was installed) and that's what may restrict rotation of the gearbox. However, with a bit of luck my hazy recollection may be incorrect ;)

Kind Regards, John

I have a metre length of high tensile wire - maybe half the thickness of fencing wire?
It has a hook at one end and bent to a Tee at the other. One good heave and it's there.
John :)

I have a metre length of high tensile wire - maybe half the thickness of fencing wire? It has a hook at one end and bent to a Tee at the other. One good heave and it's there.
That would be my usual first approach with a spring. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old (and 'weak'!), but with one end of the spring in a vice, the best I can manage by way of "one good heave" has little effect on the spring :)

Kind Regards, John

Another weapon in my arsenal......
A length of 6mm threaded bar, heat flattened at one end and drilled to accept the spring hook.
A piece of flat steel bar spanning the area of the mower deck, drilled 7mm in the middle.
Spin a nut on the threaded bar and the spring will stretch without any trouble at all.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back