Electrics in detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours garage is under my coachhouse. Their property is detached and their back garden backs onto my property.

They have advised me that there has always been electrics in their leasehold garage (off their supply).

Is there any way of telling if electrics have been added after a property has been built? Excuse my ignorance but I was thinking if added after there would be a visible cable going into the external wall of the garage from their house and if added at the point of being built would be under ground. I literally have no idea… I can’t even wire my own plugs.. any ideas on how I would tell please?

Sponsored Links
Nope not concerned about that I think it’s their supply. The issue principally derived from it a breach of their lease and I’m dubious that it’s always been there. I’m going to be reasonable either way to resolve but it’s useful intelligence. Any ideas pleaee?

Sponsored Links
I’m the freeholder of their leasehold garage. Their garage is integral to my coachhouse

How old is the building?

Can you get photos?

We may be able to tell you how old the installation may be.

(Is it really worth you worrying about this? Isn't there anything on TV?)

but I was thinking if added after there would be a visible cable going into the external wall of the garage from their house and if added at the point of being built would be under ground
That could be valid, but cables can be installed in various places at any time.
Adding a cable after the original construction would be easier with an overground route, but equally someone could have dug a trench and put a cable in it after the building was constructed.
Likewise entirely possible a cable was routed along a wall or similar at the time of construction.
Perhaps there was an underground duct originally, and a cable was installed into it years later.
Most modern cables have the date of manufacture on the outer covering - however that just confirms when that particular cable was made. Cables can be replaced with new ones at any time, so the presence of 'new' cables proves nothing.
The same applies to the colour of the individual wire insulation - newer insulation colours just confirm the cable was made after a certain date, but that could have just been a replacement for an older cable.
Also possible that some old cable that had been in storage for decades was only installed last week so it's all new even though it looks old.

The breach of the lease states no service systems and then defines these and includes electrics.

With regards to why it’s material - it impacts on my home insurance. Also how the garage is used impacts on the living above. If you’re only accessing a garage to access a vehicle the frequency is a lot less than if you you’re accessing a garage for a freezer, table dryer, batteries on charge etc. not to mention fire risk as I can’t access the garage ie no direct door into garage without asking. Lots on the TV … including my beloved Birmingham City soon ;)

As the landlord could you formally request an EICR be conducted on the circuit to the garage ?

So, even if the electrics have been there for a week, or since the place was built - they need to be disconnected for your insurance?

(My apologies for the TV comment - I hadn't understood the seriousness regarding your insurance.)

As the landlord could you formally request an EICR be conducted on the circuit to the garage ?
Indeed. One imagines that the OP's insurers probably have no objection to the garage having an electricity supply, but merely are concerned about whether or not it is 'safe' - and an EICR is probably the closest they could get to reassurance on that.

Whether or not the OP could commission an EICR (without co-operation/consent of leaseholder) may depend upon the nature of this "lease" - are we talking about a "leasehold owner" or a "renting tenant", I wonder (if you understand the distinction I'm making!) ?

Sadly it’s about the electric supply. The coachhouse can’t access the garage so it’s not about making sure the electrics are safe. It’s wider than that, it’s other items being stored that may be deemed flammable, it is also about the implications of how having electrics changes the use of the garage. For example if you have a freezer plugged in it means the door opens more frequently… clearly the more things they have the more occurrences. In my heart I know I have to deal with the issue and the neighbour but it’s one of those things that I don’t like confrontation. It won’t matter how I approach it she will kick off.

I’ve since got a bit more advice so I am certain no electrics now.

This is one of those matters that an outsider looking in with see me as a Karen but living with it is quite simply a nightmare even my extrovert friends have said they wouldn’t put up with the noise and nuisance having seen it first hand.

Wish me luck

Sadly it’s about the electric supply. The coachhouse can’t access the garage so it’s not about making sure the electrics are safe. It’s wider than that, it’s other items being stored that may be deemed flammable, it is also about the implications of how having electrics changes the use of the garage. For example if you have a freezer plugged in it means the door opens more frequently… clearly the more things they have the more occurrences.
If, as you seem to be suggesting, this is all essentially about insurance, I wonder if you don't simply need a more sensible/reasonable insurer?

There is nothing remotely unusual about garages containing appliances such as freezers, fridges, washing machines, dryers etc. ( and sometime even boilers) - with consequences such as you mention in relation to frequency of access to the garage, and this doesn't seem to be an issue or problem for most insurers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back