Euro 2024

Sponsored Links
Penalty shootout does get the result but scoring a goal in 90 minutes or ET is where the skill comes in
I think there's increasing talk of a need to bin extra time and go straight to penalties. I'd be for that. Or as a happy medium, reduce extra time to 2 x 10 mins.

That aside, yes I'm a Scot, however with us out, my support is now behind England. Perhaps not to the same extent as it was with Scotland ;) but it's there nevertheless :)

You know, I think he might go after this (or at contract end). He doesn't look comfortable in the role any more.
I think he has done well. Got us from also rans to serious top level, if not winning contenders.

But i think he has reached his level and we need somebody who can take us to the very top step.

He can go with his head held high though

Sponsored Links
I've never got this way of thinking.

Progress in football is not incremental.

I think managing a national team is very different to managing a top club side. I would say that the international game is slower and less technical. What makes a good national manager is still a mystery to me. I don't really understand how we have done so well under Southgate. Are the current players actually that good? Saka and Kane are/were top class, but the rest don't seem particularly special. I don't yet understand why Bellingham is so highly rated, but I know he must be good because lots of very experienced pundits keep saying so. We had some wonderful players under Sven and he never got the best out of them. It's so confusing!

I think there's increasing talk of a need to bin extra time and go straight to penalties. I'd be for that. Or as a happy medium, reduce extra time to 2 x 10 mins.

That aside, yes I'm a Scot, however with us out, my support is now behind England. Perhaps not to the same extent as it was with Scotland ;) but it's there nevertheless :)
I propose that a Scot commentator be the one in the hot seat when England plays next.

I turned the sound off in the final stages as the English commentators could read the future as lips were moving- was a better watch

I propose that a Scot commentator be the one in the hot seat when England plays next.

I turned the sound off in the final stages as the English commentators could read the future as lips were moving- was a better watch
Tbh with sport in general, I wish there was a button to mute the commentators whilst still hearing the sound within the venue of whatever sport is being watched. I'm not saying I'd never listen to them, however sometimes I just think 'shut up! and yes, I know that's what they're paid to do.

Like in snooker ...

So what he'll do now is try to screw back for the second red above the black. From there he'll be looking to stun through for the pink that's found itself on the cushion. And from there he'll ...

Just shut the feck up and let me watch what happens next!!!

Ok, mini rant over :)

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Like in snooker ...

So what he'll do now is try to screw back for the second red above the black. From there he'll be looking to stun through for the pink that's found itself on the cushion. And from there he'll ...

Just shut the feck up and let me watch what happens next!!!

Funnily enough, snooker is one of the sports where I most appreciate the commentary because it's so technical.

I'd be happy to try it, as long as it's not Ally McCoist. Who's good?

I turned the sound off in the final stages as the English commentators could read the future as lips were moving

I'm not familiar with that expression! What does it mean?

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Funnily enough, snooker is one of the sports where I most appreciate the commentary because it's so technical.
Yeah I can see that pov and understand where you're coming from. I think I'd prefer a bit of anticipation. After watching snooker for 40ish years I don't really need to know what <insert commentator name here> thinks :)

I'd be happy to try it, as long as it's not Ally McCoist. Who's good?

I'm not familiar with that expression! What does it mean?
You're crazy! Ally McCoist rocks. :cool:
You can hear him raise his tone whenever a striker takes a chance, like an old warrior recalling old battles, he knows how to put the ball in the net. Or when an easy chance is missed, the disappointment is palpable. Best co-commenter by a country mile.
My idea of hell is hearing Jonathan Pearce and Martin Keown squeak and squawk through a match. Unbearable.

You can hear him raise his tone whenever a striker takes a chance, like an old warrior recalling old battles, he knows how to put the ball in the net. Or when an easy chance is missed, the disappointment is palpable. Best co-commenter by a country mile.
My idea of hell is hearing Jonathan Pearce and Martin Keown squeak and squawk through a match. Unbearable.
Yeah must admit I don't mind McCoist.

My problem with Ally McCoist is that he thinks he is a lot more interesting than he actually is. He will make a banal observation which he thinks is really important, but gets no response from the co-commentator. And then he goes on to repeat exactly the same observation three or four more times over the next couple of minutes. He can't let it go.

I'm probably in a minority, as I've just read he's won Pundit of the Year.

Then again, I also don't like Gary Neville as an analyst. Whereas I think Gary Lineker is brilliant. He is so good at explaining complex stuff very simply. It probably helps that he's also very engaging and likeable.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back