Euro 2024

Sponsored Links
It looks like Southgate might actually be considering a back three after all. But then he's stuck between 3-4-3, 3-5-2 and 3-4-2-1, and also deciding who would play left back. Picking a squad without a fully fit left back was, to be frank, really dumb. Apparently, they take 26 players these days!

Whatever formation he chooses for the game tonight, Southgate is arguably England's greatest manager, according to an article from Barney Ronay - he has a point: he's taken the team to at least a q-f in each tournament during his tenure, and done something nobody managed after Sir Alf in taking them to a final and even winning the Nations League in 2020. As bad as we think they've played this tournament - and they can play better - the French have looked bang average and managed to reach the s-f without scoring a goal from open play.

That's very interesting. I hadn't realised that so many people are saying that his tenure has been hopeless. I'd always thought that he had got the best out of the players we have, and have actually been surprised at how well we have done. But this tournament, things just haven't clicked. Yet!

Sponsored Links
Another article from the Guardian, this time about how Cristiano Ronaldo spoilt last night's game. Pretty much sums up my own feelings.

This Euro 2024 clash could have been an all-time great quarter-final, and instead a part of it was stolen

The sabotage is complete. One of the most talented squads ever assembled at this level of football disappears into that self same black hole, a Vegas-era Elvis act ultimately notable only for its ability to make us gawp and keep gawping. It’s too awful to watch.

He claims another free-kick from an impossible angle, and somehow manages to hit all three players in the wall.

Théo Hernandez scores the winning penalty, and immediately the Portuguese players instinctively flood towards the heartbroken João Félix, the only man to miss his penalty, and gather him in their arms. Mendes runs to him. João Palhinha runs to him. Nelson Semedo runs to him. Pepe sets aside his own sadness – this may well have been his last game – and runs to him. There is still a team here, and the only sadness is that we never got to see it.

One man does not run to Félix. Instead he walks in the other direction, off on his own, pursued only by the prurient gaze of the camera. It’s Cristiano Ronaldo.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...on-sucked-into-the-black-hole-of-one-mans-ego

Portugal hadn't scored in their last three matches, and if they had progressed last night it would have been embarrassing for football.

Well done Engerland- close, but I'm pleased for your boys. There's a parallel with Welsh rugby going on... 60% territory and possession; and not enough scores. Hope they up their game in the semi.

Great result, is it possible, is it possible?

All those decades when I hung on every kick, we were shoite and useless.

Now that I'm not that bothered, we're still shoite, but strangely effective. :confused:

England could very well win it this year. And my reasoning's; I have never had any luck supporting football in my life, my teams always seem to get beat. And with Gareth (lets take the knee) Southgate in charge, I have now found myself supporting any team they are playing.

get your money on Engerland, they will win it this year just to pish me off.

great result hope southgate gets a 5 year contract extension

Penalty shootout does get the result but scoring a goal in 90 minutes or ET is where the skill comes in

Sponsored Links
Back