Expanded ULEZ

The highway code is guidance.
No-one is or can be found guilty - not directly, anyway - of not complying with some or other part of the highway code.
Regardless. There is always a speed limit in force.

Check highway code for the information.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but its inconceivable that those defences would apply to state owned property, otherwise the stop oil lot would be getting away with it.

Blup
I'd agree, but juries are sometimes perverse. For me throwing a publicly owned statue in to the Bristol dock or painting a protest on a chimney is criminal damage. but the Juries disagreed.

Sponsored Links
I'll check the road signs, if it's all the same to you. (y)
I think you are aware of such and will use signs as confirmation, as most of us would.

My point was for MB who tried suggesting it's difficult to know if or what speed limit is in force.

He said.
Not actually true, if you knew your traffic law. How do you set NSL on a lit dual carriageway for example (assume the lights comprise 3 or more and are spaced less than 183m apart)?

If you don't know your speed limits then the highway code is the place to look

But you agree there is always a speed limit in force then.

It's not really irrelevant if you want to know about limits
There is always a speed limit in force, but the highway code is not the source of law on them.

For example the Highway Code says:

Rule 124. You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the speed limits table). A speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) generally applies to all roads with street lights (excluding motorways) unless signs show otherwise.

So given Rule 124

- what would be the speed limit on a dual carriage way A road, which had street lights and no other signage?
- what would be the speed limit on an urban B road with street lights set 200m apart and no signage?
- what would be the speed limit on a single track road with a single 20mph speed limit sign and no street lights?

There is always a speed limit in force, but the highway code is not the source of law on them.

For example the Highway Code says:

Rule 124. You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the speed limits table). A speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) generally applies to all roads with street lights (excluding motorways) unless signs show otherwise.

So given Rule 124

- what would be the speed limit on a dual carriage way A road, which had street lights and no other signage?
- what would be the speed limit on an urban B road with street lights set 200m apart and no signage?
- what would be the speed limit on a single track road with a single 20mph speed limit sign and no street lights?
If you don't know or can't answer then I suggest you do some research.

Is it the same speed for all vehicles? If not, what vehicle do you mean ?

It wasn't me that tried to argue against NSL.

I know the answer - lets assume you are not driving a vehicle that has additional speed restrictions nor does your licence restrict you.

I'm sure the Highway Code will tell you... oh no.. wait.. it doesn't.

I know the answer - lets assume you are not driving a vehicle that has additional speed restrictions nor does your licence restrict you.

I'm sure the Highway Code will tell you... oh no.. wait.. it doesn't.
I don't think any vehicle has additional speed restrictions. The limits apply to the vehicle type and use.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 17.04.22.png

Anyway back on topic - that is a hell of a lot of broken cameras (black)

Mopeds, e-bikes, goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes. etc. All must have speed limiters fitted.

How are you getting on with those speed limit questions?

Mopeds, e-bikes, goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes. etc. All must have speed limiters fitted.

How are you getting on with those speed limit questions?
Not me struggling with them.

Their speed limits are not additional limits. They are SPECIFIC for the vehicle type and use.

the Highway Code is irrelevant. You want to read the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984
1991 actually...

Plus there have been several amendments enacted since then...

Problem is having a 'code' and an 'act' is confusing...

For example Pedestrians have a right over vehicles when crossing at a junction according to the 2022 'code' (Rule H2)...

But not in law.

Sponsored Links
Back