Extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m thinking of installing an Airvent 100mm SELV 12V Low Profile Extractor Fan Timer to the existing bathroom ceiling rose can I do it myself or is it notifiable I was going to take cable from rose to isolation switch then to fan. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Has the circuit you're going to work on got RCD protection? Are you going to supply a permanent live to the fan for an overrun / humidity sensor?

Yes has red but I am looking to upgrade consumer unit later as I’m having solar panels fitted. It’s a 12volt fan with transformer not purchased it yet so not looked at wiring needs. Which is why I am asking on here thank you

Sponsored Links
If the fan is above the ceiling in the loft then don’t bother buying a 12v unit

And don’t buy a cheap in line fan with light either - they ARE rubbish

And make sure the gap under the door is 6mm minimum so the fan can draw air into the bathroom

I only thought of 12v fan for extra safety thanks I’m still looking at various alternatives

You can do it yourself then as you are out of zones.

Thanks all I have to do is buy a fan and work out what cable I need

I am putting fan in ceiling running ducting and put outlet in soffit

In my bathroom I used an inline fan and I ran a 3 core and earth from the main light straight to the fan.

I didnt use an isolator as I didn't see the point (I can isolate it at the consumer unit if I need to)

I have just spoke to my son his house had bathroom fan when he moved in but it doesn’t have isolator. I just want to make sure I do it properly and it’s safe. I always switch off at consumer unit as it’s safest. Thanks for advice

I have just spoke to my son his house had bathroom fan when he moved in but it doesn’t have isolator. I just want to make sure I do it properly and it’s safe. I always switch off at consumer unit as it’s safest. Thanks for advice
When you buy it read the instructions some say you also need a 3 amp fuse, I didnt fit one of those either.

God I'm gonna get a bashing lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back