Extractor fan

In my bathroom I used an inline fan and I ran a 3 core and earth from the main light straight to the fan.

I didnt use an isolator as I didn't see the point (I can isolate it at the consumer unit if I need to)
How do you switch on the fan without the light during the summer months.

Sponsored Links
When you buy it read the instructions some say you also need a 3 amp fuse, I didnt fit one of those either.

God I'm gonna get a bashing lol.

I have to confess that I used to fit a 3 amp FCU until visiting this site and discovering that, if it is on a 6amp MCB, it is not necessary.

Sponsored Links
I have to confess that I used to fit a 3 amp FCU until visiting this site and discovering that, if it is on a 6amp MCB, it is not necessary.
Yeah it's pretty pointless, just makes the job a bit more difficult.

I just put the light on anyway.

I tend to work on the assumption that she what scowls at me and guests will not turn on the light if they shower when it is sunny. I therefore fit fans with humidistats. That said, some extractor fans will run even in the middle of summer when no one is showering but it is raining.

I tend to work on the assumption that she what scowls at me and guests will not turn on the light if they shower when it is sunny. I therefore fit fans with humidistats. That said, some extractor fans will run even in the middle of summer when no one is showering but it is raining.
Oh I don't have guests that want to shower.
But if I did I'd say put the light on as it turns the fan on...please.

Yeah it's pretty pointless, just makes the job a bit more difficult.

I once made the mistake of fitting RCD protected FCUs for under floor heating mats even though the CU had RCD. I soon discovered that testing the FCU would trip the CU RCD. Again, a waste of time and money. On reflection, I should have gone for a FCU without the RCD built in.

I once made the mistake of fitting RCD protected FCUs for under floor heating mats even though the CU had RCD. I soon discovered that testing the FCU would trip the CU RCD. Again, a waste of time and money. On reflection, I should have gone for a FCU without the RCD built in.
I have done the same by mistake many years ago, but yes as you say no need for 2 rcds inline, well not 2x 30ma anyway.

I have bought 12v extractor fan it has three wires going in to transformer from ceiling rose and two coming out to fan so what cables would I need.
Thanks

You need 3 core and earth.

You need 3 core and earth.

Surely it only has live, neutral and earth running into the transformer? The OP says that it only has three terminals on the supply side and two on the fan side. I guess that it only runs when the light is on (ie no over run).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back