Fitting 100A isolation switch between meter and consumer unit

Nothing happens when you pull out the cutout fuse. It's like any other fuse you'd pull out.

It's all a myth and bullshit created by the electrical industry to prevent people from tampering and removing the meters.

It's all smoke and mirrors

Sponsored Links
Some cutouts have ceramic fuse holders that have deteriorated over the years, Sometimes the holder has broken and when the fuse is pulled the two ( or more ) parts fall away leaving the terminals unsupported.. If the Live terminal touches the metal case of the cutout then an arc can be created, the network fuse feeding that arc is at least 200 Amp and possible 400 or more Amps.

I have seen the fire damage when about 2 feet of lead sheathed supply cable was burnt/melted by that arc before the Network fuse finally opened and the arcing ended.

Last edited:
I guess (hope) that your electric meter etc are not in an area where water can be expected! No need to do thios. Straight cables are fine, as is entry from top or bottom. However, all cables need to be supported (eg cleated, etc) to the wall. Not left waving in the breeze, like yours are!
Very old house and unforetunately the main waterpipe from street comes up from the bottom left. The pipe is about 15cm away from the wall so not directly about the Henley block. Have noticed in the winter there is condensation on the pipe and it drips to the floor.

Agree the cables could do with a few clips screwed to the wall...I will add some clips once the meter has been installed.

Sponsored Links
Nothing happens when you pull out the cutout fuse. It's like any other fuse you'd pull out.

It's all a myth and bullshit created by the electrical industry to prevent people from tampering and removing the meters.

It's all smoke and mirrors
I woud have pulled the fuse if it was a modern cutout like those white blocks. But my house was built in 1900. I am worried something may break. I don't mind some low risk DIY. I did upgrade the shower RCD from 32A to 50A myself and could fit the isolation switch if the power was off.

When I had my smart meter installed, the fitter installed an isolator switch for free.
I had to request it when he arrived - he said he only fits them if asked but doesn't charge.
May i ask when this was fitted please and what meter company visited your home :)

Wasn’t it an MCB you changed? And I hope that you installed MUCH thicker cable to cater for the potential 50amp current flow.
Appogies...its called MCB. Schoolboy error on my side.

Our electric shower internal fuse blew and was under 2 years warranty so when engineer came to repair the shower he pointed out the shower wire was fine for a lower power shower, but not the 10.5KW that was fitted by the plumber.
Was advised to upgrade to 50Aamp breaker and 10mm cable or won't honour any future repairs. It was only 2m of cable but those cables were painfull to install :mad:

Attachments

• 10mm.jpg
    10mm.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 11
Nov 23, Octopus / South East England.
Thanks. My energy supplier use SMS. I spoke to SMS customer support as a general chat as asked if they do fit. They said they do fit them if requested. When I ask about cost, they said all cost is passed to energy supplier as no payment is taken from customer.
So I need to ask my energy supplier if there is a cost. Ideally there should be no cost and fitted as standard as its the only way to safely isolate the power for electrician to carry out any work at the property

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back