Genetically Modified Food

felix said:
Meat has gone down hill for a very simple reason. Farm animals are fed the wrong stuff and they grow too fast. The muscle cells never get the chance to develop properly. They're full of water and the taste is wrong.

What meat Felix????? and what wrong stuff feed are we talking about????????????

Sponsored Links
I think we need to be careful with this subject, it is a very emotive one, there are those here that earn there living in this industry and we should all be cautious of checking our posts prior to clicking that looming "submit" button.

I think most of us can agree that whilst the colour of many foods have improved, and whilst I stand by my comment about the flavour of "Organic" produce, generally the standard of so called fresh fruit, veg, fish and meat has declined in the last 20 years.

The fact that fresh produce lasts about 1.5X longer that a decade ago, according to the food industries own figures, should be of concern to us all. Nature has not adapted this food for our benefit, and this food is only chilled not frozen, consequently it must be chemical application in order to improve longevity, and this is not good for anyone, especially the consumer.

I am fortunate, I live in an area that has a large number of farm shops and farmers markets, and where possible I buy veg and meat from them, but the bulk of the population do not have this access, and the spread of low cost, high volume, low quality supermarkets is doing nothing for the health of our farming industry.

The only way the Government will take action is if the public start to vote with their feet and start to boycot the so called fresh produce in supermarkets and start to buy it from local sources when available.

For their part, Farmers need to look at ways of boosting the marketability of their products and finding ways to introduce them to a wider market.

Freddie, I was not having a dig at you mate, I simply recognised from your post how emotive this subject is and that you have connections to the industry, and thus I thought it prudent to pour some cold water on the subject to keep us all in check..all here have a little history of blowing up a bit..(just broke another mirror!!) and I was trying to ensure we all think a bit before posting..

Sponsored Links
Freddie, Where do you shop? If chicken is the cheapest meat I am moving there..pound for pound, beef is the cheapest, and Chicken, pound for pound, is more expensive than lamb.

I remember reports sometime in the sixties suggesting that meat was being injected with water to 1. bulk it's weight up to sell for more and 2. to make it more juicier for longer, trouble is it seems to have taken the taste away aswell so it probably has some truth in it.

kendor said:
I remember reports sometime in the sixties suggesting that meat was being injected with water to 1. bulk it's weight up to sell for more and 2. to make it more juicier for longer, trouble is it seems to have taken the taste away aswell so it probably has some truth in it.

Yes i believe that can still go on, and that is done by a food processing company, the people who put you food in nice little weighed plastic packs

Freddie, that explains the cost..I forgot your in the land of real Guiness.

As for the water injection, it still occurs and is actually legal!! Most frozen meat has water injected into it as "an aid to the freezing process"

Just another way con consumers if you ask me.

Freddie said:
Yes i believe that can still go on, and that is done by a food processing company, the people who put you food in nice little weighed plastic packs
Even joints of meat were being treated thus.

The industry will tell you they have done surveys which confirm thge consumer prefers water injected meat. What the surveys really show is that consumers prefer cheap meat and if you can pump in some water, well obviously it becomes cheaper per pound.

Damocles said:
The industry will tell you they have done surveys which confirm thge consumer prefers water injected meat. What the surveys really show is that consumers prefer cheap meat and if you can pump in some water, well obviously it becomes cheaper per pound.

We kind of agree Damocles, the consumer even though they have the choice to buy organic or free range, the majority go for the cheapest chemical, drug, induced rubbish they can buy.

It is their choice, but the problem with this is that the health problems it causes down the line as we have seen with BSE, but then its convenient to blame the farmer who in a way is kind of innocent there, he was only acting to market pressures, so we are what we eat and its nobody's fault but our own.

Sponsored Links
Back