Greenstar 24ri - large temperature drop before re-fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24ri gas fired boiler for water and central heating. Hot water is via an indirect cylinder, tank stat set to 60C and boiler set to give flow temperature at around 73C (measured using contact thermocouple on pipe). Grundfoss pump set on speed setting 2 of 2. Time clock is set for a 1 hour cycle in the morning.

Problem: At the start of the cycle the boiler fires and runs for around 35 minutes. Boiler then stops firing but zone valve is still open and pump running because tank not up to temperature. Flow temperature drops to around 57C but boiler does not re-fire for 15 -20 minutes. System shuts down at the end of the one hour cycle. If I let it run beyond the one hour the boiler will re-fire eventually and the tank will get to temperature in about 90 minutes.

I first noticed this problem when the boiler was installed 3 years ago. The installer just increased the boiler thermostat setting but, because of the layering effect in the tank, the hot water was scalding. I persuaded Worcester Bosch to investigate in 2022 but the engineer said that the boiler was firing correctly (i.e. it went up to temperature) and did nothing. I have had another WB engineer to look at the issue this week and he observed a 20C drop in flow temperature before the boiler re-ignited. He changed the main circuit board (but did not change the temperature sensor) and said that had solved the problem but he didn't wait to check! (Was in a rush to catch a bus!!!) Nothing has changed and the system is still behaving as before.

WB has said that if the problem persists I will have to have the whole system flushed. The installer insists that the system was flushed during installation and that the problem must be with the boiler. I am stuck in the middle!!

Any ideas would be welcome please.

Sponsored Links
Any ideas would be welcome please.

Buy a couple of cheap, Chinese, digital temperature displays, with remote sensors. Clip them to the flow and return pipe close to the boiler, then you will be able to accurately see what the boiler is actually doing.

Buy a couple of cheap, Chinese, digital temperature displays, with remote sensors. Clip them to the flow and return pipe close to the boiler, then you will be able to accurately see what the boiler is actually doing.

I've got one on the flow pipe which is how I'm monitoring the temperature. I am thinking about buying a simple temperature data logger so that I can prove to WB what is actually happening.

Sponsored Links
I have had a temeprature data logger measuring the temperature on the flow pipe from the boiler. Temperature peaked at around 70C after 35 minutes and then dropped to 51C over the remainder of the one hour cycle. Boiler did not re-ignite. Bosch attending tomorrow to replace the temperature sensor which is what they should have done when I first reported this issue two years ago!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back