Harder to own your first home under the Tories

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It wasn’t easy then but we all made sacrifices and just got on with it.
We all bought doer upper houses that needed completely modernising and did it all ourselves. Of course in those days there were no latest mobile phones to own, no gym memberships, no Netflix/Prime/Apple TV subscriptions, no new cars each on lease - one old banger between the pair of us that we washed ourselves, no just eat/uber eats/deliveroos, no internet with Facebook/instagram influencers telling us what we should have, stag nights were just that - a night at a local pub and not a week away in a foreign country, our weddings were in a church with a 'do' in a local community centre and not a celebrity style wedding in a castle or another country, one U.K. based caravan or holiday camp holiday a year, no Costa coffee on the way to work, home made sandwiches for lunch. In fact, none of the usual money wasting distractions that todays potential first time buyers succumb to.

Last edited:
I can see a pattern emerging. Anyone buy their first house under a Labour government?

Let me guess……

'
Envy is an emotion which occurs when a person lacks another's quality, skill, achievement, or possession and wishes that the other lacked it.[1]

Aristotle defined envy as pain at the sight of another's good fortune, stirred by "those who have what we ought to have".[2] Bertrand Russell said that envy was one of the most potent causes of unhappiness. Recent research considered the conditions under which it occurs, how people deal with it, and whether it can inspire people to emulate those they envy.

The house buying situation has changed for the worse, though. It's not about there being temptations to spend your money elsewhere. Even if you don't spend money on stuff like that, it is nigh-on impossible to get the funds together. Compare wages, mortgage rates, house prices etc from the 60s/ 70s/ 80s to those of today and you'll see what I mean.

The house buying situation has changed for the worse, though. It's not about there being temptations to spend your money elsewhere. Even if you don't spend money on stuff like that, it is nigh-on impossible to get the funds together. Compare wages, mortgage rates, house prices etc from the 60s/ 70s/ 80s to those of today and you'll see what I mean.
you mean those high around 2 % interest rates that had been in for about a decade up until the last year

Sponsored Links
Back