Hope for the Sub ?

Sponsored Links
Well actually mostly where i go now i use IPTV so pay hmm about £6 month for just about every channel in the world. Really Sky can' fk off wanting to charge me over a £100/month for being a 10+ year loyal customer, and 99% of it is sh'te.

Netflix don't get me started, it reminds me of the seedy video shop my step uncle would take me to as a child full of Bmovies noone has ever heard of.

Yes i do have prime for my impatience for deliveries, but no way am i paying a penny to 'have my own copy' which will expire and be unwatchable when the platform changes.

IPTV?

I've been with Amazon for over a decade - and had Netflix for ages as well. It;s the convenience and with Disney I can leave kids watching what they want.

I had this cunning plan once to do Hull/rudder/prop etc inspections on the cheap using a go pro on a drainpipe cleaner pole. Except the wifi on go pro dies as soon as its 6" under the water. Hence we use divers.

What about using a phone - just record and review after you take it out of the water.

If you want a a live view - use an iptv camera and rig a housing - you only need one cable to provide power and data.

Or get a dedicated poe underwater camera.

The more you read about this story, the more incredible it gets

They fired their operations manager a few years back for refusing to authorise manned tests of this thing due to concerns over it being up to the task.

As someone with some professional expertise in the design and manufacture of carbon fibre filament-would pressure vessels, including one of the companies mentioned as being involved, some of the info coming to light here and elsewhere is quite eyebrow raising.

The dude running this operation sounds like he needs some prison time tbh.

I saw an interview with him talking about controlling the submersible with a videogame joypad, it looked like the cheapest bluetooth Logitech aftermarket joypad in PC World.

He was claiming that it could be controlled by anyone on the vehicle because it was so simple to use and then he flings it on the ground claiming it was really robust because it's designed for 16 year olds to throw around their bedroom ... it really isn't mate.

What's more, those f'king things disconnect from their bluetooth pairing every other day and are cheap crap. Imagine giving some random passenger control over a submersible that could easily kill them all and controlling it with a cheap plastic aftermarket bluetooth joypad?

Sponsored Links
The dude running this operation sounds like he needs some prison time tbh.
NASA spent $millions on developing a pen that could write in the zero gravity of space . . . . . The USSR used pencils.

KISS. Works every time.

NASA spent $millions on developing a pen that could write in the zero gravity of space . . . . . The USSR used pencils.

KISS. Works every time.

Except it didn't seem to work this time and seems an utterly flimsy solution for a controller rather than some hard physical controls built into the submersible.

Except it didn't seem to work this time and seems an utterly flimsy solution for a controller rather than some hard physical controls built into the submersible.
You seem to know the reasons this mission failed. Please share.

What about using a phone - just record and review after you take it out of the water.

If you want a a live view - use an iptv camera and rig a housing - you only need one cable to provide power and data.

Or get a dedicated poe underwater camera.
the idea was to use stuff I already had and avoid getting wet.

There are waterproof cable based options available. I just naively thought the WiFi would work for 3m.

I've used better-than-toy versions of those hand controllers, they're a sort of industry standard. Vex stuff is OK, there may well be better.
They could easily carry a spare to plug in.

The thought of using fibre-based composites is surprising. Very stong in tension, not compression, after a number of squeeze and let go cycles.

The pressure would be 4000 tonnes per square metre.
The weight of The Eiffel Tower is about 10,100 tonnes.

Last edited:
Hope they find them alive for 2 reasons.

1, obviously no one wants anything to happen like this, must be terrible.

2, will be a great film.

You seem to know the reasons this mission failed. Please share.

When did I say I know the reasons this "mission" failed?

You're the one claiming the simple approach taken by the operator works every time yet here it clearly hasn't worked here. There's a whistleblower that was an Exec at the company who was fired for raising safety concerns regarding not paying for adequate equipment and kit.

Another whistle-blower said that on three trips in the submersible, the communication device failed every time... I pointed out a video where they're using cheap plastic videogame controllers to operate the submersible and throwing the controller around to demonstrate how robust it is.

Not wishing to be unkind. But I wonder if anyone has sacrificed themselves or others to give them extra time ?

If I was down there with my son.

I’d be tempted

Sponsored Links
Back