Information on IP56 wall switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MK56400.jpg

We just had one of these fitted in our lab because of wet hands.

When I switch it on, I noticed the green neon light was shining through the joint cover and made me look into it further, I've found there is no rubber sealant gasket to stop the water entering inside. Surely the electrician know better than this ? How dangerous is this before I reported it tomorrow as I need the correct information before I take it further

Sponsored Links
In your piccy, you can just see the black gasket between the switch part of the unit and the mounting box. Are you saying this is missing?

If, so it should be reinstated pronto, as the switch as it stands will not reach IP56 standards. Also, the cable entry position should be well sealed and a drain hole drilled in the bottom of the box. There is a drain point provided for this. Read the installation instructions which will explain fully how to correctly install the unit, which should have been left for the end user by the installer. If not, he really is a w*nk spark.

Contact MK on 01268 563 000 if you need a replacement. There may be copies of instructions available on the website, but I'm not sure about that.

www.mkelectric.co.uk

Nope, because IP56 allows limited ingress of water, and there are no immersion requirements. The drain hole means any water that does get in can drain out. If it was IP57, then the drain hole would violate the requirements.

Does no-one else here use three figure IP numbers? I would have thought mechanical impacts would be quite common in the industrial environments many of you fit equipment for.

Sponsored Links
Thanks lads,

The stupid electrician :)oops:) has ordered another one, he said the gasket didn't come with it, then why the bl**dy hell did you fitted it then ?!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back