Kitchen design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there

We're getting ready to start our extension project, and the last big thing we need to decide on is the kitchen layout.

Key requirements:
  1. Built-in larder fridge and freezer
  2. Single Oven
  3. Microwave Oven + Plate Warmer or another single Microwave oven - TBC
  4. Larder storage - atleast one, probably two.
  5. Hidden tea/coffee/breakfast station
  6. Integrated dishwasher
  7. Integrated bins
  8. Induction hob - Downdraft extractor currently as on island and don't want an overhead extractor

This is the current design looks like this:
plan.png

2 left-hand full height units for Ovens, and then top 2 units on right for fridge and freezer.
The island is set-up with a bit of a breakfast bar space, but might remove that and just use full-depth units for entirety.

Here's a couple of 3D views.
view-1.pngview-2.png

Any suggestions? Any options I've missed?

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
I would avoid having hob in island , those downdraft extractors are feeble . Have island one unbroken worktop . Design looks a little disjointed .

1. Built-in larder fridge and freezer
  2. Single Oven
  3. Microwave Oven + Plate Warmer or another single Microwave oven - TBC
  4. Larder storage - atleast one, probably two.

We've just done our kitchen and have a bank of three tall units. Centre one is a combination oven with a separate oven below. Fridge & freezer to the left, larder to the right. Oh, and both the ovens have a plate warmer setting so we did without one of those and had more storage above and below the ovens.

IMG_6604.jpeg

Sponsored Links
My initial thought.

A whole wall unused. Storage is always useful.

A big kitchen but not much work surface

I would avoid having hob in island , those downdraft extractors are feeble . Have island one unbroken worktop . Design looks a little disjointed .

Thanks for the suggestion both... I have toyed with the idea of putting the sink on the island, so maybe will revisit that.
And also see if maybe can come up with an L-shape that works...

We've just done our kitchen and have a bank of three tall units. Centre one is a combination oven with a separate oven below. Fridge & freezer to the left, larder to the right. Oh, and both the ovens have a plate warmer setting so we did without one of those and had more storage above and below the ovens.

View attachment 348011

That's a good use of space there... Could do the same with a fridge and freezer either side...

Inherited an alcove so created a pantry behind double doors , peninsular island wastes less space .

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1610.jpeg
    IMG_1610.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Kit1.JPG
    Kit1.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 25
I don't understand the island design.

The overhang left by the introduction of the three wall units on legs between the the two end base units isn't sufficient to act as a breakfast bar, it's a bit of a nonentity in this design.

A downdraft hob needs a duct of 150mm, so you need 150mm gap behind the hob unit which is probably why the wall/base are pulled forwards.

Personally I would push the 500 wall/base units back to create 270mm breakfast bar and reduce the depth of the 300 to allow passage for the ducting, or reduce the 500.

On a Neff Downdraft the duct comes out of the back on the right handside so you'll need to reduce the 500 unit, if this was the case.

If the fridge and freezer are on the sink run I would hinge both appliances on the right handside, I expect the freezer is on the right anyway and the fridge on the left, if the door to the fridge is hung on the left to form symmetry, imo it's impractical as you would have to walk round the door to get into the fridge, right hand hung works much better.

If you havent already, try a local independent to design your kitchen, more time, better service, better outcome.

On both corners to wall A you could have 2 walk-in corner units aka pantry.
They hold a massive amount of stuff and don't take much more space that you have there.
And you'll still have wall A mostly free.
I agree that you need more work surface.
Also, hob on the island is great to look at but not very practical and if you cook, you need a proper extractor.
Forget about the breakfast bar: we had that in our previous kitchen and never used it.

Forget about the breakfast bar: we had that in our previous kitchen and never used it.
I used my breakfast bar every morning for 25 years (as well as some evenings when I came home late and ate a reheated dinner) and that’s the one thing I’m missing with my new kitchen. :(

I used my breakfast bar every morning for 25 years (as well as some evenings when I came home late and ate a reheated dinner) and that’s the one thing I’m missing with my new kitchen. :(
The op has a table next to the breakfast bar...

Thanks for the reply both...

So I've been playing around with a corner larder unit, and also having 2 tall units in the same corner...

Also removed the breakfast bar for now. Tweaks have not massively increased the countertop space though, but island has more usable I guess...

Thoughts?

Edit: To clarify in both of these, the fridge and freezer are at the top of the right-hand run, and the 2 600's on Wall A are Single Oven housings.
1720190340102.png

1720190602798.png

I would want the island lined up with cabinets left and right, but that's just me minding the millimetre...

I would want the island lined up with cabinets left and right, but that's just me minding the millimetre...
Heh, that bugs me aswell tbh... The gap between Wall A units and the island is 950mm, which _feels_ like a lot to me... but seems to be recommended... Could shift the island down I guess...

At risk of losing space I would not have that misalignment :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
No, seriously, it only matters to nutters like me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back