Kitchen design

Sponsored Links
You seem to have a lot of cupboards.

Get pan drawers.

Why are you getting little 600 units?

@JohnD Thanks for the suggestion... Main reason on the 600's was trying to keep things lined up etc, but that's proving more challenging :D

Edit: Also, on the last 2 designs, there are 3 lots of pan drawers (1000mm and 2x 600mm) on the left run...

You've got a roundabout! (I hate islands). Cooking at the hob and need something out the fridge - round and round!

Sponsored Links
Yeh, I can't see us not having an island... I'm just struggling to get a "longer" counter space...

This one atleast finishes close to level across the bottom... Only allows for 680mm between edge of island and oven/fridge though...
1720212217091.png

Or one keeping fridge, freezer, hob and ovens on one side...

Feels a bit lop-sided to me though...
1720214047147.png

I visited the showroom and DIY kitchens (the one you are using?) and you see ideas you had not thought of...or are you buying just from the site without a visit?

I visited the showroom and DIY kitchens (the one you are using?) and you see ideas you had not thought of...or are you buying just from the site without a visit?
So I did look at visiting the DIY Kitchens showroom, but it's a 3.5 hour drive each way.... Though if it's worth the trip then maybe we'll look at it again...

they have a location in the London area now. I visited the showroom on 3 occasions for clarification and technical support and to look at ideas. It is the best showroom you will ever visit. What we ended up with was nothing like the design we had envisaged in both layout and colour. I figured when I'm spending that much money on something that I expect to last for at least 20 years, it would be stupid not to visit.

If you can fit them in with the ceiling height, I would always use 'tall' wall units, 900mm high. Storage is always a premium and the shorter ones tend to just be used as a dumping area and collect dust and grease.

Personally, I think that a sink in an island is a terrible idea. Aesthetically - dirty dishes on display in the centre of your lovely new fancy kitchen. I know that sinks in islands seem to be a common design theme, so I may be in a minority here

The other thing I would worry about is the discharge of dirty water into any drainage - I've seen the state of my waste pipe - how on earth can an underground waste pipe be kept clean enough to remain efficient?

Regards

Tet

I would avoid having hob in island , those downdraft extractors are feeble . Have island one unbroken worktop . Design looks a little disjointed .

I sincerely hope that you are incorrect. We went to a siemens downdraft demo in Central London and were very impressed with its extractive abilities. The Neff equivalent is an almost identical twin, made in the same factory

I can't comment on it in use yet, as we are about a month away from it being installed

Regards

Tet

I sincerely hope that you are incorrect.
It really depends whether you are actually a cook or not. The problem isn't so much the ability to extract- I'm sure the demonstrations are impressive, it's what happens in the extraction trunking. A long trunking going downwards extracting lots of water vapour and fatty smoke and vapour - what do you think is going to happen? If you are a keen cook, your extraction wants to be on an outside wall with the shortest trunking possible, otherwise condensation within the trunking combined with all the fatty deposits are not a good prospect for long term efficiency!

You hope the filtration will capture everything. You hope...

Why not delete the island, consider a G shaped design with everything around the walls and a sticky-out bar rather than two openings either side of the island. You then have an open work area with an unrestricted work triangle between cooker, fridge and sink. But there again, I just hate islands!!

Personally, I think that a sink in an island is a terrible idea. Aesthetically - dirty dishes on display in the centre of your lovely new fancy kitchen. I know that sinks in islands seem to be a common design theme, so I may be in a minority here

The other thing I would worry about is the discharge of dirty water into any drainage - I've seen the state of my waste pipe - how on earth can an underground waste pipe be kept clean enough to remain efficient?

Regards

Tet
I've always installed 50mm pipes for kitchen sinks.
If going underground like on an island, 4 inch pipe if possible, connected to waste via the shortest route.
Never had a blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back