L shaped worktop levelling

Sponsored Links
I did mention that the back edge was on batons fixed to the walls. Does that not imply it’s in the corner?
No just the back edge not the side return.Ideally you would have said I want a corner desk fitted to the corner of my room.L shaped desk where the return sticks out into room are just a s common.

Not obvious , he said it was only fixed to wall at rear. No mention of return , side wall .

So I have an L-shaped (2m x 3m x 635mm) office worktop (28mm thick), butt jointed using 3 easibolts.

Obvious to everyone else, it seems. By implication, two sections, in an L-shape would need the support of a corner, and walls on each side.

Sponsored Links
Blimey, ok whilst I appreciate any and all advice offered, it does seem there is an element of splitting hairs here.
I’ll edit my OP to included all the supposed misconceptions or assumptions.

So it’s fitted in a corner ? You didn’t mention that .

You posted that at 6.55pm yesterday. The OP had not specifically mentioned that it was in a corner, but I, and others assumed that it was a corner. Why did you suddenly decide that it was a corner? You often offer up sound advice. You recently corrected me after I disagreed with you. I put my hands up and apologised to you (as I should).

I do not understand why some people on this site are combative towards OPs. Yeah, some OPs can ask weird questions. In this case the OP asked valid questions. Perhaps we need to set egos aside. This site exists because people, like you and I, offer advice. Sometimes our, well intentioned, advice will be incorrect, as happened with me recently.

In this case the OP is a long standing member, but I would not expect a newbie to want to hang around if a fellow member starts maligning them.

I spend my spare time here because I am indebted to others that have helped me over the years. The running costs of a site like this are well above my pay grade, and I have reseller hosting account. I want this site to be successful, but for it to succeed we need less criticism and back biting, and yes, I am painfully aware that I look like I am being critical of you. Again, I have seen you offer sound advice.

You spend a lot of time here. I spend a lot of time here. Long may this site continue. And kudos for being part of the club.

I still, at the back of my mind, think that the biscuits should be siliconed given the stresses on the join. The biscuits will help to deal with lateral (up/down movements). Additionally, you will be using silicone for the main join. Sorry my answer is not definitive but I am pretty sure that Job'n'knock gave me similar advice when I had to something slightly similar.

From memory... the person that I would defer to on this is @jobandknock, unfortunately he is MIA. From memory... I think when I asked for advice in a slightly similar situation, he recommended using silicone rather than glue for the biscuits because of the dynamic loads.
Why would he recommend silicon rather than glue in this situation? No Nails is an adaptable adhesive that could stick 'Solvite Man' to a board and fly him round the houses.

Why would he recommend silicon rather than glue in this situation? No Nails is an adaptable adhesive that could stick 'Solvite Man' to a board and fly him round the houses.

I honestly can't remember why.

Apropos the Solvite advert, from memory, it was their starch based powdered wall paper paste that stuck his boilersuit to the panel. Had the helicopter lifted him up on a rainy day, I doubt that he would still be alive. That said, I am well old, there may be a newer version that I missed.

I just wondered if there was something in the chemical makeup to make a difference between the two - Solvite Man came to mind for no particular reason.

This is the one from 1978

the following was from 1984

Both seem to have been their powdered based versions. Again if it were to rain the glue would fail pretty quickly (read: within minutes)

Products such as No Nails don't seem to be any different to likes of the water based version of Gripfill which preceded them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back