LabGear 6+1

yes .... 3 separate forums, just getting knowledge to make informed decision, The benefit of forums.

Sponsored Links
yes .... 3 separate forums, just getting knowledge to make informed decision, The benefit of forums.

BIB: Also known as 'asking the question until someone gives the answer you want to hear, rather than what's correct' ;):D:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry, just teasing.

Just asking question in several sources and then, making an informed decision. Bit like getting 3 quotes in for getting work done.

It does look that I can get 10dB gain by changing from wide band aerial to the XB10A.
I tried looking at Signal strengths on TV but it does not seem to have option to see them.

Last edited:
Just asking question is several sources and then, making an informed decision.

It does look that I can get 10dB gain by changing from wide band aerial to the XB10A.
I tried looking at Signal strengths on TV but it does not seem to have option to see them.

What make/model of TV? Someone may know how to find the meter?

If only one PVR-TV in use why a distribution amp at all?
What numbers when amp bypassed with a joiner between antenna and the room outlet/PVR?

The Full +17dB gain outlet could also be used, as an experiment at least to feed that room. "Only" +9dB over the other outs though. :ROFLMAO:

Note the current antenna has a gain of 5.7dB ch21 to 7.5 dB ch37 (using Justin's charts). The XB10A is 9.5 to 13 dB for those frequencies. I make that at best a 4 to 6dB (rounded up) improvement (which is still considerable but nowhere near 10dB).

It is also still as clear as mud to me if there are reception issues currently, that need addressing.

Sponsored Links
The TV is a new Samsung QE55S95 In Settings/support/ there is a 'reception signal' button ... but it's greyed out so can't select it.
I tried Samsung support they said if you can't select it, must be an aerial issue ( :) )
I have logged a 2LS support Tkt ... don't know if I will get any further.

Agree I was a bit optimistic on initial comparison of the 2 charts from AV they advised my Vision aerial is the same as as XB5
Looking at Ch 37 peak .... the XB10 is 13.5 dB where as the Vision is 6.8dB

I had overread, it's ony 7dB gain, but still a big improvement, and importantly it's good for rejection of unwanted frequencies, and thus interference.
(6dB gain is 4 times stronger)

'clear as mud' My Humax would not onwards send TV signal to TV. As part of the investigation, I was asked to provide signal strength numbers - which I did, and they ae all around 40%
Others report 80-90% on their signal strength.
So that is why I am trying to figure out if I should consider upgrading aerial.

The Wolfbane data advises I need an amplified High Gain aerial .... but I think this is pretty unspecific geographically.
I don't have a meter or I would measure the signal.

Kilvey Hill uses 21, 24, 27 (HD), 25, 22 & 28 (plus 34 Local). So gain for 21 to 28 are the only really relevant ones here.
Yours is 6dB-/+0.5dB vs 9.5 to 12.7 --- so only 4db at 21 and 6.2 dB at 30.

Wolfbane data was 79dBuV/m clear line of sight and 'set top aerial' on your AVForums thread:
1715353946460.png

Although you state there's a 50m away terrain 'obstruction' which would reduce signal a bit and possibly diffract to give 'standing waves' where aerial positioning can be critical.

You are so inconsistent !!

Have you tuned the TV in with the Humax by-passed and THEN used the signal meter (is it then greyed out despite being able to watch pictures from the transmitter)?
NB one always needs to be in TV viewing mode to use UHF tuning and signal metering. It will be unavailable if on an external input, for example.

You still have not provided the aerial to Humax with amp by-passed signal numbers.
Nor have you tried the Full output from the D-A and given numbers from the Humax.
Both those may reveal things.

RF pass-through must be ON to work, we know.
If it doesn't (and it will add probably 3dB signal amplification) then it's a connection/cable issue (as the same amp is almost certainly used by the Humax tuners). Check the output male plug on the PVR for damage as well as the socket (or joiner) on the connecting lead.
Another fix would be to run a second cable from the D-A, and feed the TV separately from the PVR if that is reasonably easy to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back