Leaking new shower door

Sponsored Links
Get a proper caulk gun and it will be much easier to apply. Well done for the finish though, thats impressive out of a tube.

Other guns are available.
Thanks. I appreciate your help. I can assure you it isn't that good close up but water still pours through the gap despite sealing from both sides ! Also the hinge part has moved the silicone as expected. have a sealant gun but can you recommend a brand of sealant please ?

Attachments

• IMG_20240724_114336.jpg
    IMG_20240724_114336.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240724_114351.jpg
    IMG_20240724_114351.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 23
Dont be cheap, dowsil, evo stik or soudal seem to be okay but everyone will have their own opinion.

You could try a sanitary version

Personally I think the design of the hinge/seal is at fault here.

Sponsored Links
Dont be cheap, dowsil, evo stik or soudal seem to be okay but everyone will have their own opinion.

You could try a sanitary version

Personally I think the design of the hinge/seal is at fault here.
I agree so I shall just try and make the best of it. Thanks.

That's not where it's leaking from. It's running past and under the seal on the bottom of the glass.

1721825072294.png

If that's how the seal on the glass is when showering then the water will just run down the outside of the bath. That seal needs to curve into the inside of the bath not to the outside, pull the glass into the bath and then back to the edge and the seal will naturally sit with the curve to the inside. Also given it's such a large seal, there will probably be a significant gap between the seal and the curved part of the hinge that any water running onto that part of the bath edge will head out and down the outside of the bath. Pic2 below

Seal is back to front and not trimmed correctly the long edge should extend past the hinge and deflect water back into bath .Thats why the trim has extra length . Outside edge of screen should be flush with seal .

Seal is back to front and not trimmed correctly the long edge should extend past the hinge and deflect water back into bath .Thats why the trim has extra length . Outside edge of screen should be flush with seal .
Yes I am aware of that now but I did try to put it on the other way round (the correct way) but it was very hard as the rubber has a memory and it caused ripples so I turned it round agan. I will bear it in mind if I get a replacement and cut a small hinge shaped curve when it meets for a better seal.

Does the screen have a manufacturer's name on it? If so it might be worthwhile checking the installation instructions. Often, but not always, they tell you to only use silicone on the outside.

Yes I am aware of that now but I did try to put it on the other way round (the correct way) but it was very hard as the rubber has a memory and it caused ripples so I turned it round agan. I will bear it in mind if I get a replacement and cut a small hinge shaped curve when it meets for a better seal.
Drop in a bucket of hot water will loose the memory .

Does the screen have a manufacturer's name on it? If so it might be worthwhile checking the installation instructions. Often, but not always, they tell you to only use silicone on the outside.
No it doesn't as it came with the bath from Victoria plumbing.

I'll try soaking in warm water again but last time it didn't really help.

Fair play.

Why not ask them to send you the screen installation PDF. I did previously look at their site, but the image seemed to be a slightly different screen.

There's your problem. (At least another one)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back