Leaky elbow in tricky position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideas? Not much room or movement to knock this apart. The elbow joint above the cup is dripping. Must have been for yesrs given the build up of crud outside.

Hacksaw the elbow ends lengthwise and try to open off like an olive?

Cut the elbow in half and oull off?

Also thinking to cut off the elbow and do something with compression joints as its going to be tricky to get all the water out the pipe i think.

Attachments

• 20240918_221744.jpg
    20240918_221744.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
One possible option:
1. Cut the longer arm (going towards the back wall) about half way.
2. Heat the elbow close to the other arm and separate elbow joint. Reheat elbow end of stub (shorter arm) and wipe off old solder.
3. Use a slip coupling and some new pipe to extend longer arm.
4. Solder on new elbow.
It should be possible to get all the water out and use solder fittings. If not, as above with compression fittings.

One possible option:
1. Cut the longer arm (going towards the back wall) about half way.
2. Heat the elbow close to the other arm and separate elbow joint. Reheat elbow end of stub (shorter arm) and wipe off old solder.
3. Use a slip coupling and some new pipe to extend longer arm.
4. Solder on new elbow.
It should be possible to get all the water out and use solder fittings. If not, as above with compression fittings.
Thanks. Not sure i should ask, but what do you make of push fit?

Sponsored Links
1. Nothing wrong with push fit provided it is used in the right circumstances. I wouldn't use it where its subject to high water temperatures (e.g. secondary circulation systems, within 1 metre of a boiler) or where rodents are not rare.
2. I prefer copper, mainly because I think it is neater and the material is readily recyclable.
3. I believe your pipework is the cold side of an unvented hot water cylinder, so no problems with push fit, provided you have the room.
4. Getting a slip coupler in 22 mm plastic is a bit of a problem. I believe JG Speedfit do one but don't know of another brand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back