Legalising cannabis

Sponsored Links
a big NO from me - too many folk already going about high as a kite (edinburgh just stinks of cannibis these days) legalising it will just make it worse.

two tier kier probably just want to free up police time so they can lock up dissidents

Road deaths prove how ineffective present laws are, do you wish to double the problem?

I suggest you read up on the known psychotic effects of Cannabis smoking....." Increased risk of anxiety and depression" etc.

How many extra deaths would you consider justifiable?
How many more would you expect? Two, three?

Cannabis use is massively widespread so it's not as if we'll suddenly have tens of millions more puffing away. It's safer by every metric anyone can think of than Alcohol. Its absurd but if everyone who drank alcohol switched to cannabis there would probably be fewer deaths.

We accept Alcohol in our lives as an acceptable risk to health and cost to society. The damage we know it does to ourselves and others is acceptable.

The risk and cost for Cannabis is, as far as anyone can see, smaller. That's not to say it's zero risk because it isn't, but it is low.

Sponsored Links
A friend worked briefly in russia a few years ago in a russian hospital, the canteen for staff had a bar, vodka WAS popular with the surgeons at lunchtime...

Anyway, recent changes to the breeding of canabis plants has made it worse for causing psychosis, that was driven by smugglers wanting to reduce the volume that had to be smuggled, but my 2 questions to people on either side of the arguement is how well did prohibition work in the US? and who did it make seriously rich?

We accept Alcohol in our lives as an acceptable risk to health and cost to society. The damage we know it does to ourselves and others is acceptable.

The risk and cost for Cannabis is, as far as anyone can see, smaller. That's not to say it's zero risk because it isn't, but it is low.

It's when the effect becomes dulled over time, that's when greater highs are looked for.

I know someone personally that went down this route, Cannabis/Heroin, now on methadone.

Too many people still associate cannabis with the yeah man mild hippy stuff. Today's stuff as has been said is far stronger and mind altering. See too many lifes/minds ruined by it. And in places that have legalised it all that has happened is the illegal people have dropped their prices to help keep their market share it has not driven them out of business

Maybe cannabis becoming legal would help with the opioid epidemic?

Years ago my GP (off the record) recommended trying it for serious pain after a sports injury...

And...

"In 2001, Portuguese drug death rates were very similar to the EU average. While rates fell in Portugal following reform, they increased across the rest of Europe in the same timeframe. From 2011 onwards both Portugal and the rest of the EU have trended similarly, rising until 2015/6 - however, the gap between the two remains considerably wider than it was pre-reform"

"In real terms, drug death rates in Portugal remain some of the lowest in the EU: 6 deaths per million among people aged 15-64, compared to the EU average of 23.7 per million (2019). They are practically incomparable to the 315 deaths per million aged 15-64 experienced in Scotland, which is over 50 times higher than the Portuguese rates"

It's when the effect becomes dulled over time, that's when greater highs are looked for.

I know someone personally that went down this route, Cannabis/Heroin, now on methadone.
And was that immediately after cannabis was legalised?

I just love the thought of our Airline pilots/Bus drivers/Taxi drivers/ HGV drivers/ smoking dope legally.

How high would you like your surgeon?
Do you currently love the thought that they can all consume alcohol legally?

I've known many who didn't go down that route.
The exception does not prove the rule. :rolleyes:

Too many people still associate cannabis with the yeah man mild hippy stuff. Today's stuff as has been said is far stronger and mind altering. See too many lifes/minds ruined by it. And in places that have legalised it all that has happened is the illegal people have dropped their prices to help keep their market share it has not driven them out of business
So it becomes a legal free market model?
Instead of a lucrative illegal model.
Is that not a good thing?

Sponsored Links
Back