Level 3 C&G cable sizing calculations

So what you do is, get a figure for It, look up a cable size that has capacity of equal to or greater than that, find the voltage drop, calculate it, check against limits (<11.5V) and if bigger, go to next cable up. That's how you get the numbers.
Yes, I know but in the C&G example, the volt drop on 2.5mm² is very low so no need to have larger cable.

Regarding resistance, when you say quarter, you mean because it's Line and Neutral lengths in parallel with Line and Neutral again to form the ring?
A ring is two cables in parallel each of which is half the length of the circuit.
18 x 20 x 37 / 4 / 1000 = 3.32V

I'm not sure thats right as the length given is the length of the whole cable, not the middle of the ring.
It works out the same 2 x 9 = 17 + 1.

Table F6 gives drop for a 2.5mm2 cable of 18mV,
Yes.

so this is for the line and neutral, so 9mV drop on each per meter, per amp. 9mV drop on 2.5mm2 wire gives a resistance of 0.009 ohms. A resistivity of 2.25x10-8, pretty close to pure copper of 1.77x10-8
The resistance of 2.5mm² conductors is 7.32 mΩ/m

7.32 x 1.2 (temperature adjustment for 70º) = 8.784 x 2 = 17.568 (the 18 value) mV/A/m.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I know but in the C&G example, the volt drop on 2.5mm² is very low so no need to have larger cable.

A ring is two cables in parallel each of which is half the length of the circuit.
18 x 20 x 37 / 4 / 1000 = 3.32V

It works out the same 2 x 9 = 17 + 1.

Yes.

The resistance of 2.5mm² conductors is 7.32 mΩ/m

7.32 x 1.2 (temperature adjustment for 70º) = 8.784 x 2 = 17.568 (the 18 value) mV/A/m.
OK, so let me see if I have this right, per metre, per amp, there's 9mV drop in the live and 9mV drop in the neutral. For a ring, you have another pair in parallel, so the volt drop is half on each side. 4.5mV in all 4 wires, per amp, per metre. 9mV in total. Half of the 18mV.

The length of the ciruit in a ring is the whole length of the cable from the DB and back again.

I can only see the 18mV divded by 2 as the 18mV is for a pair of conductors.

The length of the ciruit in a ring is the whole length of the cable from the DB and back again.
The conductors are that length, but the furthest point from the consumer unit is half of that length.

If the wires were 40m long, the distance to the furthest point would be 20m = ½
and there are two sets of wires = ½ again.

Sponsored Links
@richardindorset

Firstly let's make sure you understand that in the VD calculations the 'mV' value is just the same as the resistance of the conductors.
This being the case because that nice Mr.Ohm arranged it so that 1V through 1Ω is 1A - lucky that.
The near enough figure of '18' (17.568) is '9' (8.784) for each of the L & N in series. '9' mΩ being the resistance per metre of the conductors as we assume they are at 70ºC when loaded.
This is unlikely to be the case - especially for 20A on a ring circuit.

OK, so let me see if I have this right, per metre, per amp, there's 9mV drop in the live and 9mV drop in the neutral.
For a radial, yes, but it would be better if you just use the resistance until you have the final value - so 9mΩ per metre.

For a ring, you have another pair in parallel, so the volt drop is half on each side.
Yes, but they are both only half the length as well.

4.5mV in all 4 wires, per amp, per metre. 9mV in total. Half of the 18mV.
Well, no - the resistance doesn't work like that. That is why it is confusing using the 'mV' value.

The resistance of two identical conductors in parallel is half of the resistance of one of them; so one quarter. It just is.

Yes but that is not relevant.
It is the current path which matters; it does not 'go round' the length of the circuit and back again.

I can only see the 18mV divded by 2 as the 18mV is for a pair of conductors.
You're not looking in the right place. :)

I hope that helps.

The conductors are that length, but the furthest point from the consumer unit is half of that length.

If the wires were 40m long, the distance to the furthest point would be 20m = ½
and there are two sets of wires = ½ again.
OK, think I have it, finally!

The ring doubles the cable length and halves the resistance so your mV/A/M drops to a quarter the book value.

Thanks for sticking with me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back