motorways and roof bars

So you have no excuse for your stupidity then eh?

Sponsored Links
How is it stupidity, then? I am neither dead, nor have I killed anyone else.

You missed a word off the end "YET".
And the same applies just as much to you: you are not immune just because you apparently faithfully toe the party line re speed limits, much as you seemingly like to think you are.

In fact, given the extreme anger that you seem to purvey towards anyone who so much as dares exceed the speed limit by 1mph, there's more risk of you succumbing to a heart attack :). I couldn't give a toss about those like you who blindly follow the rules like sheep: it's easy enough to blat past, without so much as a by-your-leave, heyho my heart rate stays much the same.

The only time it doesn't is when a prat nearly has (and in one case did have) me off the bike. And, funnily enough, those kinds of people, without exception, are just like you, not concentrating because they're within the speed limit, so everything's ok.

Attitude of mind and concentration are far more important, as well as capability, than merely sticking to speed limits. There are plenty who shouldn't be going anywhere near the limits, or even be on the road in the first place. Are you one of those, Joe?

Sponsored Links
You have, for whatever reason, decided that the limits are too low and that you will ignore them. The reality is that if you go through enough speed checks you'll be banned from the roads as 'dangerous'. I'm not a road safety expert and neither are you. The people who make the rules and give advice are. So I take their expert advice. If you make some calculations for a steel RSJ and some fart with a builders bum comes along and says "Ya don't need that - grab a bit of 4x2, you'll get away with it". Would you be impressed? Well I'm not impressed with your attitude to speed.
Did you read the link I provided? I bet you did but it wasn't in your argument's interest so you've ignored it.

If the limit was upped to 80 mph - you'd still exceed it.

Do you think we would all be safer if we drove at the same speed? It's the lane changing where accidents happen. Well?

You have, for whatever reason, decided that the limits are too low and that you will ignore them. The reality is that if you go through enough speed checks you'll be banned from the roads as 'dangerous'. I'm not a road safety expert and neither are you. The people who make the rules and give advice are. So I take their expert advice. If you make some calculations for a steel RSJ and some fart with a builders bum comes along and says "Ya don't need that - grab a bit of 4x2, you'll get away with it". Would you be impressed? Well I'm not impressed with your attitude to speed.
Did you read the link I provided? I bet you did but it wasn't in your argument's interest so you've ignored it.

If the limit was upped to 80 mph - you'd still exceed it.

Do you think we would all be safer if we drove at the same speed? It's the lane changing where accidents happen. Well?
That's where you're wrong: as mentioned in previous posts, both by me and others, there are plenty of circumstances where the limit is too high.

Yes I read it. And?

As for getting banned, 32 years of driving later, 3 points and a £60 fine is not bad for the thousands of times that I've transgressed :LOL: . And the only accident - which was on the bike - was the fault of someone else, who was driving well within the speed limit (me too, as it happens) and nevertheless got 8 points and fine for careless driving.

The point being: speed limits are not a panacea. Driving like a nob is the problem - and holding up traffic when you could quite easily move over, is, imho, driving like a nob.

As for the SE comparison: someone doesn't want to take my advice, that's fine, I do not have any problem with that whatsoever. As long as they've paid my bill, of course ;)

I follow ALL the road rules. Even when the motorway is empty I always use the left hand lane. However, there comes a time when the left lane is full - so I don't use it. I follow the advice in the link I gave you.

If you are lucky you'll one day be banned. I don't really care if you kill yourself - just don't take anyone else with you. You are a menace, and if the authorities knew of you poor driving - you'd be walking. :LOL:

Joe is far more likely to be pulled by the dibble for not allowing the free flow of traffic on the motorway than those who do as Softus has suggested and occasionally exceed the speed limit whilst overtaking.

The police simply want traffic to flow freely because, when it does, less accidents are likely to happen and I've seen Joe-clones pulled twice now for causing traffic holdups on busy motorways ... All the other drivers saluted with judicious use of their horns ... Fab :LOL:

I wouldn't mind betting that Joe was one of them ... Though he would never admit it of course and, anyway, he's too busy avoiding this mythical endless stream of trucks in the left hand lane which seem to follow him everywhere he goes ;)

Fact is that he's a poor driver ... End of subject really I think.

MW

If you are lucky you'll one day be banned. I don't really care if you kill yourself - just don't take anyone else with you. You are a menace, and if the authorities knew of you poor driving - you'd be walking. :LOL:
And the reason, when I choose to speed, that I don't get caught? Because a) I know that I'm so doing b) I'm capable of driving at whatever speed I am doing, having due regard for conditions and line of sight and c) because I look further than the end of my bonnet or handlebars, depending on mode of transport - partly so can spot those pesky cash-cows, sorry "safety" cameras, before they zap me, but also constantly checking on what's happening way up in front and, if it becomes appropriate to slow down or even stop, do so.

And I bet you my house that you do not follow the rules 100% all of the time. If you claim you do, you're a liar. Go out with a plod Class 1 and they would never presume to get it right all of the time; nor would they presume that you ever stop learning.

If you think that all you need to know about "safe" driving is embodied in the highway code, or the Think... website, then you are an even bigger danger on the road than I first thought.

70mph is the maximum speed - not the minimum. If the Police want to take me to court because I follow the government guidelines on motorway driving then great - let's go.

You are the one that would be banned if they followed you for just a day - so don't get too clever will you? You are the illegal driver - not me.

And the reason, when I choose to speed, that I don't get caught? Because a) I know that I'm so doing b) I'm capable of driving at whatever speed I am doing, having due regard for conditions and line of sight and c) because I look further than the end of my bonnet or handlebars, depending on mode of transport - partly so can spot those pesky cash-cows, sorry "safety" cameras, before they zap me, but also constantly checking on what's happening way up in front and, if it becomes appropriate to slow down or even stop, do so.

And I bet you my house that you do not follow the rules 100% all of the time. If you claim you do, you're a liar. Go out with a plod Class 1 and they would never presume to get it right all of the time; nor would they presume that you ever stop learning.

If you think that all you need to know about "safe" driving is embodied in the highway code, or the Think... website, then you are an even bigger danger on the road than I first thought.

It's amazing you know that your tyre won't blow out, or a kid on a bike come from no-where. Just follow the rules or get off the road - you don't belong on it.

Like I said way back when: you've never been in an accident but have seen hundreds happen just behind you... :LOL:

I just came back from doing 65 on a 50 stretch of dual carriageway. I'm taking myself off to the kitchen to wash my mouth out with soap and water and to slash my fingers with a fish knife for the sheer audacity of doing that.

Like I said way back when: you've never been in an accident but have seen hundreds happen just behind you... :LOL:

I just came back from doing 65 on a 50 stretch of dual carriageway. I'm taking myself off to the kitchen to wash my mouth out with soap and water and to slash my fingers with a fish knife for the sheer audacity of doing that.

Who really cares? Just don't take some parents kid when the inevitable happens. I guess you don't have children?

It's amazing you know that your tyre won't blow out, or a kid on a bike come from no-where. Just follow the rules or get off the road - you don't belong on it.
You don't read, do you? I don't necessarily comply with the speed limit only where I judge it to be safe to do so and I bet my powers of observation and concentration are somewhat greater than yours, because I didn't stop at the basic test with my learning. I'm not plod Class 1, as I've not been a plod, but I've got as close to it as a civvy can with IAM and RoSPA advanced passes - and I practise my skills all the time (on a bike you have no choice, if you're going to make it back without some prat of a car driver taking you out) and know that even after 32 years' worth of driving, I don't know it all.

Here's a thing for you Joe: a few years back, I did a Bike Safe course with plod. Whilst out on our run, we were running late to get back, so the plod with us said keep to the speed limits in built-up areas (which I do as a matter of course, I am not a 65-past-a-school nob), but once past the national speed limit sign, hoof it - he would only clobber us if we were speeding in an unsafe or inappropriate manner. We were doing up to 95mph on A roads, all with his blessing - wither your "rules" then, eh? It's quite interesting doing 90+ and seeing a bloody great police bike up your arse in the mirror btw :LOL:.

Just don't take some parents kid when the inevitable happens. I guess you don't have children?
Pray tell just why it is inevitable? Are you saying that speeding will result in a fatality as sure as night follows day? Get real.

If I looned about at 100+ regardless of conditions, traffic density etc, then there would be more of a an inevitability to it. And that would be stupid and dangerous and beyond defence. As it is, as said before, I don't speed all the time, nor as you seem to assume is it only ever at 100+; I'm just as capable of being below the limit as I am above it. If I drive at 80, 72 or 71 even, then I'm speeding, but does that mean that I'll kill someone or myself? Err, nope.

Ref your q: two of my own and three step kids, as it happens. And they're all really good drivers :), despite my input into their training as well, shucks. Oh and a grandson too, though he's only 3 1/2, so isn't driving just yet :LOL:.

How does sticking religiously to 70 save you if a tyre blows on a vehicle in the slow lane right next to you, btw? The very act of going out on the road is not without risk, but you seem to think that all will be fine in Joe World if you stick religiously to the limit.

Sponsored Links
Back