motorways and roof bars

At times when I use the motorway there is an endless cavalcade of trucks in the left lane. I overtake them at the speed I'm allowed to. There is an outside lane that I only use when idiot lorry drivers are dueling.
That's the way it is. That's a fact. If idiots want to speed and risk life and licence then let them. Nothing to do with me.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
At times when I use the motorway there is an endless cavalcade of trucks in the left lane
I have honestly never witnessed this problem Joe.

What times do you drive and on what strech of motorway?

I'll make sure I avoid them just in case there is any truth to your post. :LOL:

So, presumably, if you were driving outside of these times and on normal stretches of motorway without the endless cavalcade of trucks in the left lane you would spend your time in the left hand hand lane allowing everyone else to merrily speed past you in the fast and overtaking lanes?

MW

I couldn't care less what other drivers do. I just refuse to be bullied into the truck lane when it's full of trucks. I refuse to be bullied into driving at an illegal speed. That's about it really. I follow this advice:

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advice/motorwaydriving.htm

If you think that advice is wrong - get onto the Government.

And what good advice that is:

5. Only use the hard shoulder in an emergency

If you break down, pull onto the hard shoulder as close to the verge as possible and turn on your hazard warning lights.

There are emergency phones every 1500m (about a mile). Wait for help as far away from traffic as you can.
Nothing about turning your front wheels into the verge, so that if someone tonks you up the jacksie the car doesn't go out in the carriageway. Indeed, nothing specific about vacating the car at all. Sound, sage, detailed advice as ever from those who know best... :rolleyes:

Is there a "Think before you Bonk" site that you frequent as well, Joe? :LOL:

Nice one, you'll have a mega day out, what are you driving there???

I think my voucher entitles me to a Caterham Super 7 - though this can be changed at short notice. I have driven these previously, albeit in relatively modest states of tune, but I would guess those at Heyford kick out more power.

Should be a gas (dreadful pun) in anycase. Up for it, Joe? :)

Since this thread is mostly about the highway code can someone please resolve a 'discussion'. What is the speed limit of an unrestricted single carriageway.

P.S. I think joe is just saving his indicators from wearing out by staying in the middle lane. I think they call people who hog the middle lane 'cloc's' .......central lane owners club....... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

potshot";p="894459 said:
Since this thread is mostly about the highway code can someone please resolve a 'discussion'. What is the speed limit of an unrestricted single carriageway.

60mph on single carriageways
70mph on dual or more carriageways

And what good advice that is:

5. Only use the hard shoulder in an emergency

If you break down, pull onto the hard shoulder as close to the verge as possible and turn on your hazard warning lights.

There are emergency phones every 1500m (about a mile). Wait for help as far away from traffic as you can.
Nothing about turning your front wheels into the verge, so that if someone tonks you up the jacksie the car doesn't go out in the carriageway. Indeed, nothing specific about vacating the car at all. Sound, sage, detailed advice as ever from those who know best... :rolleyes:

Follow the link for more safety tips at the bottom of the page and it says...

Breakdown

If you break down,pull in as far to the left of the hard shoulder as possible with your wheels turned to the left.
Do not attempt even simple repairs. Leave any animals in the vehicle or, in an emergency, keep them under proper control on the verge. Turn on hazard warning lights if your vehicle is causing an obstruction, use nearside doors, keep well away from traffic and call for assistance. Women drivers travelling alone or with children should tell the operator when telephoning for help. Marker posts indicating the direction of the nearest emergency telephone are situated every 100 metres on the hard shoulder. Never cross the carriageway or slip road to use an emergency telephone. After returning to your car wait on a nearby bank or verge,well away from traffic. Should you feel threatened, return to your vehicle by the nearside and lock all doors. Leave your vehicle as soon as you feel the danger has passed.
On motorways emergency telephones are generally situated every 1500 metres (about 1 mile).

I overtake them at the speed I'm allowed to.
I doubt that you do. You're 'allowed' to do more than 70mph.
Where does it say that?
Well, for a start you could read the ACPO guidelines, which recommend (which is as strong as is it possible for them to be) that drivers are not prosecuted when doing under 2mph + 110% of the speed limit.

Or you could call upon the considerable experience of your driving career, and base the decision on wisdom and common sense.

BTW, you didn't respond to my point about it being safer, in some scenarios to speed, marginally, than not to.

If my excess speed kills someone - what can I quote? "Oh Softus sez?"
When you're talking about a serious subject, like this one, what virtue do you really think there is in making fatuous remarks like that?

Sponsored Links
Back