Need help disabling one light switch of a two-way circuit

Yes those are LEDs.

As for your quote, there is a minimum load on the device. I think from memory, it's 5W.

Which again, is odd - coz I have 3 4.5w LEDs being switched by another Quinetic switch downstairs without issue ‍♂️

Any comment on the thing I said about capacitors at all?

Sponsored Links
Just got the email from quinetic:

1721059091987.png

And the diagram:

1721059117630.png

This is how they look, I assume LED. Can't get to them to check wattage... View attachment 349152

Also, just got off the phone with Quinetic Tech support and they have said to email them and they will provide me with instructions on how to attach a capacitor at each end to resolve this - does that sound right at all?
At each end, no, it doesn't sound right. But the diagram they sent you suggests it can be done in the ceiling rose.

At each end, no, it doesn't sound right. But the diagram they sent you suggests it can be done in the ceiling rose.
Apologies, I just got the wording wrong because they said "both side of the lamp"

Does that diagram sound reasonable then/is this done all that often? Any advice on where to get one of those capacitors and how one would safely wire them? The last time I messed with capacitors I was 8 years old taking apart old electronics with a soldering iron...

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure about the capacitors.

I must confess I don't know a great deal about electronics. Bit ashamed about it, TBH...

But they presumably are all switched together, so the load will be 13.5W.

Yeah I kinda thought that right after I posted it but was already committed lol.

I'm not sure about the capacitors.

I must confess I don't know a great deal about electronics. Bit ashamed about it, TBH...

That blows my mind, based on your account age & post history etc I'd have thought you'd know all there is to know! Is that not something most electricians learn about, I assume because it's less common in general?

Some did learn about it.

When I did my City & Guilds course in the 80s, there was the opportunity to go sideways and do a course on electronics. Some took it and some didn't. I was one of the latter.

I'm not sure whether electricians following a City & Guilds Electrical Installation course today are given the opportunity to learn about electronics too.

Very interesting to hear, also makes me feel very out of my depth now coz when you took your course... I wasn't even both for another 12 years! Haha. Thanks

:D

I was born in the mid 60s and while I do feel ancient sometimes, I know I'm not really. There are a few retired sparks here who are much more knowledgeable and much wiser than I.

Gonna be fitting the capacitor today, fingers crossed this will be it...

Well, it worked! Currently just a temp job since I will be replacing the rose/light after decorating but at least I know it works!

1000023862.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back