New Supply 3 Phase to 3 x Single Phase

I’m still unclear why the OP this thinking the way they are

Why not just supply all buildings from one supply?

Is this domestic or industrial ?

Sponsored Links
I’m still unclear why the OP this thinking the way they are
I imagine that we all are, since we've been told few details.
Why not just supply all buildings from one supply?
Again, we can only guess, but if you mean one single-phase supply, I suppose the most likely reason would probably be that the OP didn't think (rightly or wrongly) that one single-phase supply would be enough to serve all three buildings.

I imagine that we all are, since we've been told few details.

Again, we can only guess, but if you mean one single-phase supply, I suppose the most likely reason would probably be that the OP didn't think (rightly or wrongly) that one single-phase supply would be enough to serve all three buildings.
I think OP is in an enviable position of being able to obtain a whole 3 phase supply to the three buildings at no additional cost or at a mediocre additional cost for the different cable, they then have the option to do as they please. If separate metering is required; fitting private meters is far more cost effective than individual energy supplies, providing the administration of splitting the bill runs smoothly.

Splitting such a supply I'd suggest a 3ph dis board, example:

1718143625106.jpeg

Or at least a decent sized fully adaptable CU
1718144925398.jpeg

With a 3 or 4 pole main switch
Initially this may seem over the top but a couple of years down the road and a landlords supply or a 3ph into one of the buildings is required the benefit will be very quickly felt. It may also be cost effective with space and money compared with 3 fused switches and the spagetti associated with multiple henley blocks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think OP is in an enviable position of being able to obtain a whole 3 phase supply to the three buildings at no additional cost or at a mediocre additional cost for the different cable, they then have the option to do as they please.
Indeed, that's essentially what I wrote ...
As far as DNOs and suppliers are concerned, there really is little, if any, difference between "a 3-phase supply" and three separate single-phase ones, other than the metering, charging and billing.

If separate metering is required; fitting private meters is far more cost effective than individual energy supplies, providing the administration of splitting the bill runs smoothly.
As I implied, it it certainly likely to be 'cost-effective', in that one will 'usually' (I personally know of no exceptions, but there may be some) avoid paying three Standing Charges - so, as I wrote, it certainly would seem the preferable approach if bills for all the usage is being paid for by the same person. However, if that is not the case,, then many of the stories I've heard about private meters and bill-splitting mean that I would personally probably think more than twice before going down that route ....
Splitting such a supply I'd suggest a 3ph dis board, example: ... Or at least a decent sized fully adaptable CU ... With a 3 or 4 pole main switch
Initially this may seem over the top but a couple of years down the road and a landlords supply or a 3ph into one of the buildings is required the benefit will be very quickly felt. It may also be cost effective with space and money compared with 3 fused switches and the spagetti associated with multiple henley blocks.
It's obviously largely a personal choice, but mine was to go down the route of multiple Henleys (I think 6 SP ones), multiple switch-fuses (actually 5, not 3, since I somewhat simplified my description) and 'spaghetti' - not to mention up-front 3P+N isolator and 3 x Type S RCDs :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back