Non British Gas advice please re Boiler Pressure Relief Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the original boiler and what was it replaced with? What was the NCS for?
Vokera Excel 80SP - same as I still have in the flat next door.

The service sheet didn't say - it just said something along the lines of "some things aren't to current standards". Having got intimate with the plumbing in the flat (it now has a thermal store), I've a good feeling for how the guy that installed these worked. I can see exactly where the old boiler was (patched up holes for flue etc), and cannot think of anything that wouldn't be to current standards.

Except for one thing - it would have been an old non-condensing, pilot light, boiler when condensing, electronic ignition, boilers were becoming the norm. I suppose that could be enough (if you are being dishonest) to claim the boiler needs replacing.

As someone called it, sound very much like "spook a granny" technique.

Sponsored Links
As someone called it, sound very much like "spook a granny" technique..............Another term coined by my goodself I think you'll find??!!

I got a call from one of our younger artisans yesterday, he had his prode in this auld dear's flue, it was a Baxi CF floor standing 30 YO job & he was getting a 94% efficiency reading on his FGA, he was amazed & thought there was something wrong........... :LOL: :LOL:
Guess we can't sell her a Band A anytime soon..... :cry:

heaven forbid they just wanted to buy a new boiler :rolleyes:
Yes, that is possible, but it's also quite possible that they were mostly happy with it and would have left it in place had they not been told it "was dangerous" (which is what many people would infer from "it doesn't meet current safety standards").

Of course, it could be just coincidence that on a service callout the engineer states NCS, and a month later the new boiler goes in.
The job sheet lists parts used as Pressure Switch - which is interesting as this boiler doesn't have a pressure switch in it. There are two flow operated switches which are prone (IME with the one in the flat) to giving trouble - particularly as one microswitch is cleverly positioned to catch any drips from the valve stem above it.

The job sheets lists ventilation and flue as satisfactory, but against safety report says "loop/blow off".

Sponsored Links
heaven forbid they just wanted to buy a new boiler :rolleyes:
Yes, that is possible, but it's also quite possible that they were mostly happy with it and would have left it in place had they not been told it "was dangerous" (which is what many people would infer from "it doesn't meet current safety standards").

Of course, it could be just coincidence that on a service callout the engineer states NCS, and a month later the new boiler goes in.
The job sheet lists parts used as Pressure Switch - which is interesting as this boiler doesn't have a pressure switch in it. There are two flow operated switches which are prone (IME with the one in the flat) to giving trouble - particularly as one microswitch is cleverly positioned to catch any drips from the valve stem above it.

The job sheets lists ventilation and flue as satisfactory, but against safety report says "loop/blow off".

Air pressure switch? :idea:

Not a whole lot of evidence either way is there? first there is no paperwork saying what was NCS now there is.

Not being funny but BG contract or not plenty of Excells are ropey ****e nowadays, while a prv defect and whatever was deemed wrong with the loop won't mean a new boiler perhaps, as suggested, a new boiler was the customers idea all along. I'm not naive, there are plenty of chancers in BG and the independant game, but lets be sensible not jump to conclusions from some old paperwork.

assuming they were told it was dangerous when it quite clearly states the contrary on ncs paperwork, and underestimating how easy it is to get someoe to part with a few grand for a new boiler.

if only the bg guys told all their storys about 'local independants' eh

I have to admit that BG probably do provide a fairly consistent and safety biased response.

It would be interesting to hear some stories of BG engineer's involvement with independents ( in the proper place of course! )

Tony

Well you let it all out,..it's quite apparent that you clearly don't understand your industry. A PRV IS a safety device!!! Much of your ramblings are pure fiction, any crediibility you had in your own little world there has evaporated. I doubt you could teach me anything mate. Never done BG apprenticeship, (so already you're wrong on 2 counts). Must have really touched a raw nerve with you, you don't even come close. For a grown man to spend time writing that embarrassing eulogy (to yourself) is shocking. Go lie down in your bedsit and take the weight off your brain. xx

For the record, because its not clearly stated, that tirade is against MickyG rather then myself ( well I think so! ).

Its just because my post is immediately before it that it may confuse some people.

Tony

I have to admit that BG probably do provide a fairly consistent and safety biased response.

It would be interesting to hear some stories of BG engineer's involvement with independents ( in the proper place of course! )

Tony
Agile, now I've responded to "you know who", I do come across good installs by independents and also some dangerous shockers. It's the luck of the draw, some are consciencious and others not.
Where I really find issues is when independents attend breakdowns. Obviously there are those who are proficient, we'll never see those for obvious reasons, but there are customers who have forked out hundreds of pounds but still haven't been fixed. It's blatant robbery. To be honest anyone would moan about that but generally no one really criticises unless necesssary, I have riddored some. So you see nasty outright critsism winds me up, most are from people who heard a story from someone else...many I just refuse to believe.

Well you let it all out,..it's quite apparent that you clearly don't understand your industry. A PRV IS a safety device!!! Much of your ramblings are pure fiction, any crediibility you had in your own little world there has evaporated. I doubt you could teach me anything mate. Never done BG apprenticeship, (so already you're wrong on 2 counts). Must have really touched a raw nerve with you, you don't even come close. For a grown man to spend time writing that embarrassing eulogy (to yourself) is shocking. Go lie down in your bedsit and take the weight off your brain. xx

Your still wrong about a PRV.
Maybe it's the lack of a proper apprenticeship that makes you a muppet.

This thread has moved so far away from helping the op that it should be moved to GD :rolleyes:

Here`s a fact that will SAVE the op £ .......... the guy to fit the copper pipe in place of the plastic one Doesn`t need to be Gas Safe :idea: - any old jobbing plumber can do it :mrgreen: ................

That`ll bring the thread back on track :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back