Oil boiler, and RCD protection, not sure what to do if anything?

... is that not the case when we install any RCD ? (but that doesn't stop us installing them :))
The idea of a RCD is to make it safer, but having assessed the risk, it would do the reverse. I think what I need is a type F due to the inverter, can't find a type A RCD FCU in a local wholesale outlet, never mind a type F.

Sponsored Links
The idea of a RCD is to make it safer, but having assessed the risk, it would do the reverse.
I think you may have missed my point (which, admittedly, was a little 'tongue in cheek'!).

Taking note of your own 'ice and snow' argument, if one had RCD(s) in a CU which was high up, requiring one to stand on a chair or ladder to reset it/them, then your 'risk assessment' might well conclude that the risk of having to use (and possibly falling off) a chair or ladder to reset RCDs outweighed the (very tiny) risk of not having RCD protection - but then you would have to go and argue with Mr BS7671 :)

but then you would have to go and argue with Mr BS7671 :)
Since I did not remove the RCD protection, this was done by a scheme member who issued a compliance certificate to cover the work done in 2023, I am more likely to fall foul of rules and regulations by adding a RCD to doing nothing.

I have a spelling and grammar checker telling me it should be an RCD, thought only an with a e i o and u? Since when has R been a vowel?

A little learning?

I have a spelling and grammar checker telling me it should be an RCD, thought only an with a e i o and u? Since when has R been a vowel?

It is pronounced 'an Ar See Dee'.
'Ar' begins with a vowel sound. You checker is working correctly

Sponsored Links
Are I had not realised that, I thought it was Welsh which was phonic with 27 phonic sounds, not English, which seems to retain foreign spelling as long as we use the same letters, when the Ford Granada came out, I pronounced it the same way as Canada. Maybe a Scottish thing? They can't seem to pronounce Celtic correctly.

As Detlef has said, it is correctly "an" if what follows is a vowel sound.

By far the moist common situation is when what follows is a single letter pronounces as a single letter, and a quite a few of them fall into this category ... F (pronounced 'eff'), H ('aich'), L ('ell'), M ('emm'), N ('enn'), R ('arr'), S ('ess'), X ('exx').

... and it's not just a case of 'silly rules' (or exceptions thereto) - if you don't follow the above,you end up with something which sounds wrong/awkward - try saying "a FCU" or "****" or "a LCD" or "a MCB" or "a NVR switch" or "a SPD" or "a X-ray" (as well, of course, as "a RCD" :) ).

Much less common, and I think more controversially, many people say that if what follows is A, E, I, O or U, then it should NOT take an "an" if the pronunciation of that letter is not as a 'vowel sound' - for example, they would say that "a universal X" or "a utopian Y" are correct, but that "an universal X" and "an utopian Y" are NOT correct, because the following letter does not have a 'vowel sound'.

Since I did not remove the RCD protection, this was done by a scheme member who issued a compliance certificate to cover the work done in 2023, I am more likely to fall foul of rules and regulations by adding a RCD to doing nothing.
I wasn't talking about that - I was referring to the hypothetical situation in which you decided not to have any RCD protection at all, since you 'risk assessment' had concluded that the risk of climbing up to a high CU to reset them was greater than the risk of not having any RCD protection :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back