Old Conservatives don't understand

I think you are talking about the Affordable Homes plan for the next few years. Under the last plan, only a small percentage of these homes were for social rent.
Some try to obscure the discussion by pretending that things which aren't relevant actually are. I don't how how selling off millions of homes for social rent doesn't affect the social housing stock either.

Sponsored Links
Except once 1 set of tenants move out or move on the house is there for the next, and so on and so on.

Can't do that once it's sold.

It's so basic
And these people who move out... they no longer need a place to live? Oh wait, they do.

It's so basic.

I haven't seen that. It's a very long thread! I don't even know how this discussion first started :LOL:

I was mainly trying to add a bit of historical context, in a broad brush stroke kind of way. As regards proper social rented homes, the basic facts are that 2 million have been sold under RTB and that has also reduced the stock of social rented homes by 2 million. This is because in 1980 very tight restrictions were brought in on councils building social housing for rent. Housing associations built a smaller number, but these pretty much just replaced the social housing that was torn down over the past forty years. So, we now have a situation where we have 2 million fewer social rented homes than in 1980.

In 2020, the rules on councils building housing were relaxed, but there are still barriers. Not least practically, after being out of the business for forty years! From Googling I think you are talking about the Affordable Homes plan for the next few years. Under the last plan, only a small percentage of these homes were for social rent. I don't know what the plan is for this new one.

here you go..

Sponsored Links
And these people who move out... they no longer need a place to live? Oh wait, they do.

It's so basic.
But not every one caries on in a council house, often move out elsewhere, freeing up the council house for the next tenant(s). They might have died, or inherited money to buy property, or won the lottery etc etc etc.

Once the house is sold it cannot then be re used, it's so basic.

Why do you miss out on all the basic info and look at it from such a 1 sided view?

Go back to basics, it is basic stuff

You have 5 apples and you give away 3, you then have 5 apples left.

What bit are you not getting?
I know, I just don't understand so called clever people being unable to grasp the very basic stuff.

Not that long ago they were trying to tell us it was expensive, unprofitable and time consuming to rent properties out too.

I know, I just don't understand so called clever people being unable to grasp the very basic stuff.

Not that long ago they were trying to tell us it was expensive, unprofitable and time consuming to rent properties out too.
You have 5 apples, you give 3 away.

There are still 5 apples.

Or

You have 5 apples you sell 3 on a buy 2 get one free model.

You use the money to buy 2 more apples

there are 7 apples.

It doesn't matter how many you own. The goal is provide apples.

You have 5 apples, you give 3 away.

There are still 5 apples
using your argument if every council house was sold, there would no waiting list for a council house :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

you have 5 councils
3 council tenants buy their houses

you now only have 2 council houses

You are dishonestly trying to claim that when people in a council house are fortunate enough to buy and move into the private sector, there wont be more vulnerable people needing social housing.

using your argument if every council house was sold, there would no waiting list for a council house :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

you have 5 councils
3 council tenants buy their houses

you now only have 2 council houses

You are dishonestly trying to claim that when people in a council house are fortunate enough to buy and move into the private sector, there wont be more vulnerable people needing social housing.
No I'm absolutely not, I have demonstrated that a council can make more homes available and more money by building and encouraging right to buy rather than holding on to aging stock which costs a lot to maintain.

Sponsored Links
Back