Old Conservatives don't understand

Sponsored Links
Are you suggesting that the person buys the home and then demands another council house to live in?

It’s nonsense
childish nonsense

life is not static, there is always a need for housing to support vulnerable people -and as population grows that need increases

Sponsored Links
All this moaning about how right to buy reduces housing stock - is nonsense.

The main reason RTB has reduced social housing stock is because of the restrictions and barriers that were placed on council buildings more houses to replace them in 1980. These have eased somewhat recently. But councils are still saying their hands are tied quite a bit.

It's an accurate comment on your attempt to dismiss two of the UK's largest commercial property companies as "obscure"
It’s well know commercial property produces a better yield.

My point stands.

It’s well know commercial property produces a better yield.
Tell me how you think the yield on an investment is calculated

What do you think of an investment that has lost 40% of its value in five years?

My point stands.

What sort of idiot describes two of UK's biggest commercial property companies as "obscure?"
You.

Once it's sold it can't house another tenant, or another after that, or another after that, or another after that.

Basic stuff mb
Once it's occupied it can't house another tenant, or another after that, or another after that, or another after that.

Basic stuff

However once it’s sold it does house an ex tenant at no further cost to the council and the money can be used to build more as long as the council doesn’t p*** it away building 30 year plans.

The main reason RTB has reduced social housing stock is because of the restrictions and barriers that were placed on council buildings more houses to replace them in 1980. These have eased somewhat recently. But councils are still saying their hands are tied quite a bit.
Did you read the link I posted which shows how 180,000 new homes will be funded, by government grant.

It may well be that council employees simply aren’t bright enough to manage this.

What do you think of an investment that has lost 40% of its value in five years?

What sort of idiot describes two of UK's biggest commercial property companies as "obscure?"
You.
You think it’s based on a revised valuation? It’s based on investment costs. Good job you don’t run a business.

I know how it’s calculated. I’ve first hand experience, you don’t.

It’s been established for decades that commercial property is better for a return than residential property.

So the poor councils are selling off their best assets. If you’re in favour of that, I don’t know what to say.

P.s I don’t read your links so it could have been anything.

Once it's occupied it can't house another tenant, or another after that, or another after that, or another after that.

Basic stuff
Except once 1 set of tenants move out or move on the house is there for the next, and so on and so on.

Can't do that once it's sold.

It's so basic

I know how it’s calculated. I’ve first hand experience, you don’t.

It’s been established for decades that commercial property is better for a return than residential property.

So the poor councils are selling off their best assets. If you’re in favour of that, I don’t know what to say.

P.s I don’t read your links so it could have been anything.
Now.

Why are councils selling any assets ?

Did you read the link I posted which shows how 180,000 new homes will be funded, by government grant.

It may well be that council employees simply aren’t bright enough to manage this.

I haven't seen that. It's a very long thread! I don't even know how this discussion first started :LOL:

I was mainly trying to add a bit of historical context, in a broad brush stroke kind of way. As regards proper social rented homes, the basic facts are that 2 million have been sold under RTB and that has also reduced the stock of social rented homes by 2 million. This is because in 1980 very tight restrictions were brought in on councils building social housing for rent. Housing associations built a smaller number, but these pretty much just replaced the social housing that was torn down over the past forty years. So, we now have a situation where we have 2 million fewer social rented homes than in 1980.

In 2020, the rules on councils building housing were relaxed, but there are still barriers. Not least practically, after being out of the business for forty years! From Googling I think you are talking about the Affordable Homes plan for the next few years. Under the last plan, only a small percentage of these homes were for social rent. I don't know what the plan is for this new one.

I haven't seen that. It's a very long thread! I don't even know how this discussion first started :LOL:

I was mainly trying to add a bit of historical context, in a broad brush stroke kind of way. As regards proper social rented homes, the basic facts are that 2 million have been sold under RTB and that has also reduced the stock of social rented homes by 2 million. This is because in 1980 very tight restrictions were brought in on councils building social housing for rent. Housing associations built a smaller number, but these pretty much just replaced the social housing that was torn down over the past forty years. So, we now have a situation where we have 2 million fewer social rented homes than in 1980.

In 2020, the rules on councils building housing were relaxed, but there are still barriers. Not least practically, after being out of the business for forty years! From Googling I think you are talking about the Affordable Homes plan for the next few years. Under the last plan, only a small percentage of these homes were for social rent. I don't know what the plan is for this new one.
I think he is trying to paint over history and to some extent the creation of the current excessive lack of social housing.

Sponsored Links
Back