Outdoor Heated Pool.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have one? Any advice, other than "Don't!"?

Types, heating method, realistic heating costs. Anything really.

Cheers

CG

Sponsored Links
I know a few people that have had them, family, when the kids are young or you have grandkids, they're great, but there tends to be lifespan. I think you're retired so you possibly would have the time to maintain one, but, filtration, chemicals, it's an ongoing expensive saga, and expensive to heat although solar would be an option these days.

In the 80's we had a large garden with a 'dip' and I toyed with the idea of a pool in that there would be little excavation required, from memory in those days no planning permission was needed to build the pool, but planning was needed to fill it with water.

Are you on a water meter?

Dunno about in the U.K. but my mate had a pool built at his place in Sardinia. He used to pay an opening up and a closing down fee plus £20 a week for someone he knew out there fairly well to maintain it. The bloke has since died and other quotes were too expensive for the use it got so he does it himself when he goes out there and it takes up a good chunk of his time. He only used to use the place half a dozen times a year anyway and he hates water so rarely goes in it himself! He often says he wishes he'd never had it built, mind you, he says that about the Villa too!

F37E17F0-55BF-4C90-A9F1-CAAB01867843.jpeg

Sponsored Links
DON'T.
There is much to consider with theses things and lots of year round costs. The benefits are small whilst the downsides are great.

We had one a couple of years ago. It was an above ground type which we assembled ourselves. Measuring 18' x 12' x 4' it was ideal for the 3 adults in our house and we could also accommodate my daughter in law and granddaughter with plenty of room for all. At first we tried the heater, (2.8kW), supplied with the pool but it put around £95 a week on the bill and didn't get much above 22C so we took the plunge and bought a 5.5kW Air Heat pump. Cost around £700 inc vat but the electric costs dropped to around £33 week and the water temp went as high as 40C by the second day and remained there with the heater kicking in occasionally to maintain it. (Cheaper to maintain a temp then to try raising one each day). Yes there is the cost of chemicals and sand filters etc but you need to weigh up the pleasure/benefits against the financial costs.
To us it was a no brainer as my wife is disabled after a broken neck and water therapy is the best pain killer. We put a large marquee type tent over it to keep the flies/wasps from hovering around and it also shielded us from direct sunlight.
As it was above ground I was able to house all the 'plant' into a Kessler Plastic Storage box with openable doors and lid.
The only problem I found with it was because, it was top entry for the water which then returned via a top skimmer, the lower part of the water had to be stirred/agitated to circulate it otherwise the heater was fooled by the returning water that it was all warm. Once this had been done, and then when you were in the water, the temp was quite constant throughout.
For the system we had I think you would be looking at 2,500k - 3,500k these days.

Anyone have one? Any advice, other than "Don't!"?

Types, heating method, realistic heating costs. Anything really.

Cheers

CG
My father in law has/had one. It was outdoors, but the water maintenance was expensive in both time and money so he built a pool house over the top.

He loves his pool, and maintaining the water has become his hobby. But it rarely gets used, and the general consensus is that it has lowered the value of his house as people don't want the hassle.

If I did have one, I'd add that chemical, the one that turns the water purple or blue when some dirty bugger decides to have a wee in it.

DON'T.
There is much to consider with theses things and lots of year round costs. The benefits are small whilst the downsides are great.

I fear the, "Are we aren't we?" ship has sailed. She likes a nice home, but pretty much never goes for luxuries herself (me, watches, boat, plane, cars at various whim times). We're having a pool!:D

Sponsored Links
Back