Pound in biggest monthly fall against the dollar since 2016...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drops are inflationary as far as we are concerned. Lots of things are traded in USD and we import a lot from the EU.
I agree, inflation can be imported.

What do you think happens to the exporters?

Sponsored Links
What do you think happens to the exporters?
Hopefully they export more as the buyers costs are less as their currency is worth more but if needed import costs increase - manufacture for instance.

Hopefully they export more as the buyers costs are less as their currency is worth more but if needed import costs increase - manufacture for instance.
If buyer's costs aren't in £s then why would their costs be less?

As you know, when more £s are required to buy a $, things priced in $ obviously cost more £s... So, when prices increase, what generally happens?

Sponsored Links
I don't understand the question.

It's tumbling towards a 50 year low. Do you think that's a good thing?
It's simple enough ... what, in your opinion, is the correct rate of exchange between $ and £?

Yeah, its always 'tumbling', 'free falling', 'soaring' etc. isn't it.

Do I think it's a good thing? Well, it's good for some, not so good for others.

If buyer's costs aren't in £s then why would their costs be less?
I retired a while ago now rather early age wise. At least 10years before that the comany's price list was in euro.

I think I read pound is the weakest its been against the dollar for almost 40 years……

so despite a war neighbouring EU, pound is still doing way worse…..good old Brexit.

welly seems to have taken blithe indignation to a new level. It's a pity his posts amount to a crock of nowt.

Does that mean American cars are 2.5 times more expensive in the UK than anywhere else?

The financial markets have lost confidence in the pound.

The correct level is where the markets consider the pound to be a fair risk.
If a country is going to let it's currency float against others the yes, they have to let the fx market decide the price.

However, there is plenty a competent government could do to insulate the nation from the inflationary effects (if there are any) of events like the recent fluctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back