Really that much money to fit a fan?

Sponsored Links
So can I still DIY a fan replacement if it's like for like, e.g. a failed unit?
Everyone will.

It's just the part P debacle all over again - where those that decide to do things properly will pay for a scheme, the useless courses and the rest.
Those that do not will just carry on as usual and do whatever they like with zero consequences.

New build will be unaffected as they will do the usual of building 50 homes, getting some private BC inspector type to have a quick look at a couple of them which were properly prepared, and for the rest anything goes.
If complaints are later made by the hapless new owners of the properties - whoops oh dear the building co just went out of business and no longer exists so good luck with that.
In unrelated news, a very similar named company just opened up at the same address and is building the next lot of substandard shacks.

If not, then they will become mouldy rotboxes within a week.
Bit excessive. Mine didn't when I had to take my MVHR offline for a fortnight but I understand that you're being deliberately obtuse. Someone who has had the foresight to create or buy a well draughtproofed home with an MVHR would hopefully also understand the need to arrange alternative ventilation if the regular system were down for any reason.

The bigger problem is general ignorance, as the number of MVHR enabled homes rise it's quite likely that the number of occupants who have no idea what it is, where it is or how it works will also rise. That's the same story with many things though and we have professionals for those things (consumer units, gas boilers) to compensate for the ignorant population

Sponsored Links
If they build air-tight houses but Part F says buildings must be adequately ventilated something is not right.

See my post #17.
Air-tight is the wrong phrase. Draught-proofed is better because "adequate ventilation" means "controlled ventilation" and a building fabric with gaps and holes (trickle vents) is not "controlled"

I do wish people would stop saying airtight, but then I also wish people would stop saying fuse box when they have a CU full of RCBO. It's incumbent upon those of us capable of understanding, to know "what they actually mean when they say what they say" rather than resorting to petty argument over it

Air-tight is the wrong phrase. Draught-proofed is better because "adequate ventilation" means "controlled ventilation" and a building fabric with gaps and holes (trickle vents) is not "controlled"
Ok, but that was the phrase used in the video.

However, if all the "controlled ventilation" is closed by the inhabitant would that make the building air-tight?

Mine didn't when I had to take my MVHR offline for a fortnight
Why do you think that was?

May I guess you did not close all the vents and do lots of cooking and simmering, leave the bath full of water all day, have lots of plants indoors, dry washing indoors, etc.

Apart from actual leaks, people cause condensation and mould to form.

However, if all the "controlled ventilation" is closed by the inhabitant would that make the building air-tight?
It wouldn't with an MVHR, because the occupant isn't really in control of it, unless they climb step ladders in every room and wind the plenum vents closed on their screw adjusters
Why do you think that was?
Primarily because I built the house, made the choices, fitted the system and understood what I had to do to have it remain a healthy space to live. I arranged alternative ventilation, but I was very glad when I repaired the PCB of the unit and got it up and running again

I'm 100% on board with the notion that humans cause damp and mold and it's a source of intense frustration that landlords pick up the blame when ignorant tenants arrange festering unhealthy conditions for themselves then sit around bleating that it's someone else's fault

Apparently a picture from Awaab's flat:
1729362175289.png

I will give 4 unicorn points to anyone who correctly surmises why the greatest concentration of mould is to be seen at the top of the radiator

Clearly not to Awaab's parent/s.. :/
There's a little more to it than that.
If the fan in the bathroom of their flat isn't effective and the room hasn't a window, as well as the kitchen having no extraction and the window opening onto a communal walkway, then the flat has certain limitations and any advice they were supposed to get wasn't timely, or appropriate. - coroner's prevention of future deaths report attached.

The question then may be, given the families circumstances, should they have been housed in this flat with these limitations in the first place?

Attachments

• Awaab-Ishak-Prevention-of-future-deaths-report-2022-0365_Published.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back