Seems we have done a complete 360 degrees in the way we get power.

So it should be called a clothes' dehumidifier? In the same way, not a vacuum cleaner, but an air validity cleaner, the naming of new devices is always hard, and cold has always been, a measurement of heat. And we have always uses heat pumps as cooling devices in the past, not sure why, however 1980 working in Algeria we had loads of self-contained air conditioning units which would fit in a standard size box. Loads of different makes, but all fitted in the same box.

90% of the units used the heat pump to cool only, turn them on to heat, most had an element, a few would run in reverse, but not many. I noted the main problem with the AC was the matrix would fill up with dust, which would hold the condensate and part clog the passage of air, not having enough air to heat the evaporator would result in it going below 0ºC even in the Sahara Desert, and then the frost would also clog the passage of air. The cure was to turn to heat for a few minutes, then back to cold, the melted condensate would wash out the dust.

But as long as one didn't go silly with how cold one set them, they did not freeze up too often. And I think that was the reason why on heat, they used a resistive heater, as two easy in cold weather for them to freeze up. Once below 0ºC, the air becomes very dry, but we see with many freezers the instructions say do not use in an area cooler than some °C, as below that, water will freeze in the condensate drain pipes on the defrost cycle.

I note the heat pump tumble drier also has a minium room temperature.

What I am not sure about is
1719677517404.png
I can understand Dry level, but if one looks at the first two on the list
1719677766619.png
the main difference is the max load, but time is the same, and temperature is the same, so in real terms what does the knob do? I can see with wool it is cooler
1719677987507.png
but of the 14 options, there are just two heat settings, the max load changes, and the default time, but once clothes are washed, they need to dry, one can't really sort out washed clothes into cotton, synthetics, and wool, as to go into the washer they have been sorted by colour, so they will go into the dryer also by colour. And looking as
1719678392479.png
it is the same temperature as Mix, so why has a program for Baby Care? As to maximum load, I have never weighed my wet clothes, we have IKEA units with boxes in them to match the colour of the wash, and when full we wash the contents of the box, the only items which have any special attention is women's under ware which may have wires in them, they are bagged first.

As to if washing now takes longer or shorter time, not sure, I remember the first house on washing day, no hot food on that day, as whole kitchen taken over with washing, no utility rooms back then. Clothes sorted into very dirty, dirty, and slightly soiled, and slightly soiled washed first, same water used for all three groups, into washing machine, through the mangle, into spin drier and then out onto the line under the car port.

The car port was great, dried washing with no bird lime, and kept the car dry, without having it stored in a damp garage. And also visitors dry while waiting for the door to be answered. Today can't hang washing out to dry, as it would need rewashing.

Sponsored Links
The power meter only shows an hour so this is stitched, and shows typical drying cycle of the heat pump dryer, as said some times it does a mark/space ration
Very similar power usage to my dehumidifier. I assume it turns off the chiller to stop it freezing.

A dryer could presumably work with no deliberate heating of air, but simply by drawing humid ambient-temp air over something made cold by the machine in order to condense the water vapour - i.e. what most 'dehumidifiers' do?
The air inside the drier will start with high humidity and trend downwards as the clothes dry. I guess that's why it's recirculated in the drier rather than being passed through.

The thinking behind 'smart' meters will only become 'smart' if/when there is widespread deployment of 'smart appliances', which can talk to (and maybe even be controlled by) the meter - and I'm not convinced that I have personally seen even one such appliance yet,

We're probably going to have to rely on Bonkers Brussels Bureaucrats to do something like, make demand-side response a requirement to get anything above a C [or whatever] energy rating for domestic appliances, then the manufacturers will respond.

If you're struggling to get to sleep, then I can heartily recommend reading this: https://www.bsigroup.com/globalasse...-system-functionality-and-architecture-th.pdf

The air inside the drier will start with high humidity and trend downwards as the clothes dry. I guess that's why it's recirculated in the drier rather than being passed through.
I'm not sure I understand that. From the point of view of drying the clothes/whatever, it surely would be better to 'remove' any air which had a humidity greater than 'ambient' thatto re-circuklate it within the dryer wouldn't it?
We're probably going to have to rely on Bonkers Brussels Bureaucrats to do something like, make demand-side response a requirement ...
Are you assuming that the new government we get next week is going to get us back into the EU (if they will have us!) (and with or without another referendum)? :)

No, what I am assuming is that we will get products designed for the EU market, whether or not the UK has deviated from EU regulations, and that's a scenario in which appliances will do DSR-type things.

Sponsored Links
I must admit we seem to have the same EU controlled products now, as we did before we left, just we don't have a say as to what the controls are, the point is manufacturers are not making products specially for the UK market, my worry is not so much new rules, but not removing old rules once we decentralise, I have seen this with Part P, no one really takes any notice of the different rules, so also no one is pushing for the rules to change to same as England.

As to the 20 MPH fiasco, we have now no idea of what the rules are, if we see lamp posts and no signs are we in a 20, 30 or unrestricted? There are no little Welsh dragons on lamp posts, so not even sure if in England or Wales, so in England it seems the 30 signs don't need repeating, and in Wales they do, but in Wales the 20 signs don't need repeating but the 30 do.

To return a section to 30 MPH, they have to put up repeater signs, not just swap 20 to 30, I think be it 20 or 30 the signs should be repeated, same as 40 signs, it is now the only way people will know the limit.

Part P it is so easy for an English electrician to do work in Wales which does not comply, a plumber does some electrical work, and the firms' electrician comes to third party inspect and test, but it is not allowed in Wales. Or we have a football match, when it was not allowed, as the ground was in Wales, only car park in England.

Be it England, Wales, Scotland, Ulster, or UK, Europe, having different rules does not help.

No, what I am assuming is that we will get products designed for the EU market, whether or not the UK has deviated from EU regulations, and that's a scenario in which appliances will do DSR-type things.
Fair enough -I suppose that makes sense.

However, I am still of the view than many, many most, of us will not be around to see the day when there is 'widespread deployment of 'smart appliances', whatever the EU, the UK government or anyone else would like to think :)

Part P it is so easy for an English electrician to do work in Wales which does not comply.....
Whatever the country, an electrician would only "fail to comply" with Part P if they were incompetent and dangerous, since, as you know, all Part P requires is that the work be done 'safely' ("... to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.")

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back