Sky box in a cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is probable an odd one! We have a solid wood built in cupboard under the TV, the sky box is inside with the door left open and assorted wires laying around on the carpet. If the central panels of the doors were replaced with a radiator grill would the signal get though and would the box keep cool enough.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You may be able to just use an ir repeater. It plugs into the box and then there is a small remote receiver you can place outside the cupboard.

But to answer your question a grill would also work most probably

Thanks matlob, I have seen this mentioned. We have an old telly but I might check it out.

Sponsored Links
Which sky box?

Sky Q boxes use Bluetooth for the remote - no direct line of sight required.
Older boxes are IR so most certainly will need a clear views between the remote and box, assuming you still wanted to keep such an outdated piece.
Why would anyone not want to retain a unit which suits their requirements perfectly?

Upgrading to Sky Q is free and in most cases the monthly cost remains the same, and in some could even be less depending on what channels and options are chosen.

The only exception is where people want the service in multiple rooms, which will cost slightly more as additional boxes are required.
However Q provides proper multi-room options where others can watch whatever they want in HD simultaneously, rather than some cack analogue video over coax debacle which just duplicates the main box in potatovision.

Upgrading to Sky Q is free and in most cases the monthly cost remains the same,
Interesting!
and in some could even be less depending on what channels and options are chosen.

The only exception is where people want the service in multiple rooms, which will cost slightly more as additional boxes are required.
However Q provides proper multi-room options where others can watch whatever they want in HD simultaneously, rather than some cack analogue video over coax debacle which just duplicates the main box in potatovision.

if sky could offer a service that enabled all the recordings on the old box to be transferred to the new sky Q box then more people would choose to upgrade. we hav e lots of stuff on our 2Tb box that we wish to keep so cant move to Q

if sky could offer a service that enabled all the recordings on the old box to be transferred to the new sky Q box then more people would choose to upgrade. we hav e lots of stuff on our 2Tb box that we wish to keep so cant move to Q
Sky don’t usually ask for the old box back, you could keep and still move to Q , though never understood why people have it.

Do you have your "lots of stuff on your 2Tb box" backed up in some way? If not, you're going to lose it all sooner or later, when the 2T drive dies, anyway.

One of the main reasons people stay with what works for them is to avoid the massive price hike to upgrade.
I can understand that thinking.
They seem to sneak things in a lot on free, cheap deals that have been around for yonks, a modern practice and I will not say which country I think it might stem from (Monetarize everything ethos?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back